How long is a filter good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would run them for no longer than 30,000 Miles... (Sorry I said 10K before because I thought we were talking about oil filters)

30K? Really. I change mine every 10K and they are pretty dirty. Not nasty dirty but dirt in the creases for sure. I do put 500 miles a week on the truck and it's all highway miles.

Depends if you are driving in a very dusty area, most cars can easily go 30K Miles on an air filter... a UOA is the best way to determine if the filter is doing its job not by looking at the filter. Some filters will look clogged but still work fine and catch dirt.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
It depends how dirty it gets [operating conditions].

+1

Varies from one application to another! Wix is a well built filter and will probably last as long, if not longer in terms of construction, as any other top notch filter out there.

Last edited:
Ya, on average an air filter should go 30K. You might want to inspect it and knock the dirt off at 20K.

I was told by Terry Dyson to replace mine every 10,000 miles, but decided to buy a Cotton Gauze type instead.

HVAC any techs on here? what is acceptable air flow drop? 1-5% I think is the max. I have a air purifier that accepts donut/ring types of filters, the original hepa looks/sized like a semi truck kind of thing. I can plug fan-filter combo into a kill-a watt meter and check and see differing draws with variously dirty filters, which alter with filter loading. A years old hepa which is more filter than a typical car one is only few watts more draw since new. I notice little diff new/old auto unless visibly dirty. They do get a gassy smell, and perhaps this affects their performace as well. How long life? 1-3 years, seals will deterioate and even if media good seal may be not.

I stick to 15-20k, but Chevy recommeds 50K on my Ecotec, and no interval on my Silverado. It has a restriction indicator. I've had a FILTHY AC Delco filter that barely registered on the restriction indicator.

Depends on how dusty your area is. What does the manufacturer say?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Originally Posted By: Steve S
It depends how dirty it gets [operating conditions].

+1

Varies from one application to another! Wix is a well built filter and will probably last as long, if not longer in terms of construction, as any other top notch filter out there.

+1

I always replaced on a yearly basis, every fall. Now I look at them and if they look good as they often do then I run them longer!

Sounds crazy, but I replace mine every 3,000-5,000 miles. My vehicle does operate in a very dusty environment, however.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Sounds crazy, but I replace mine every 3,000-5,000 miles. My vehicle does operate in a very dusty environment, however.

I saw the picture you posted of the dust storm.
You must have to buy air filters in bulk!

Pretty much so. I've worked it out this way: I install a new air filter and drive 2,500 km (1,600 miles). I take it out and pop a new one in the air box. The one I've taken out gets washed thoroughly (cotton filter media) until the one in the box hits 2,500 km. Once it does, the washed one goes in and the one that's taken out gets washed. At this point, 5,000 km (3,000 miles), I purchase two additional filters if I haven't made a bulk purchase. Each filter gets washed twice before it is disposed of. After two washes, it's filtering ability diminishes. Crazy, but it saves me a bundle whilst supplying clean air to the engine.

Luckily, I found Mitsubishi's OEM filter supplier (a Japanese company called Sakura), and purchase the same filter for nearly half the cost. If I buy in bulk, which is what I did last time, there's an even merrier discount to enjoy!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back