See through tires- These are cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Shannow
They'd have sidewalls on them for sure if produced.

I would imagine sidewalls would help when it comes to air resistance. However - I could see how leaving the interior matrix open could help beyond just the cool factor.

It would be easier to inspect the interior for any failure of a spoke. It might help with cooling of the tread. Sealing it might affect the dynamic structure.

If the spoke section is durable enough, I could see where one could have a semi-permanent wheel and an attached tire.

You need a sidewall. If you get a rock, some mud, ice, ect. . . in one of those open sections and you start going 50+ MPH the MAJOR wheel unbalance could cause some major issues.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
You need a sidewall. If you get a rock, some mud, ice, ect. . . in one of those open sections and you start going 50+ MPH the MAJOR wheel unbalance could cause some major issues.

It was a huge problem with chariots.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I'm curious what the spokes are made of and how they stand up to Hertzian stresses.

I don't know but I'll bet they're not immune to Keynesian economics

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Shannow
They'd have sidewalls on them for sure if produced.

I would imagine sidewalls would help when it comes to air resistance. However - I could see how leaving the interior matrix open could help beyond just the cool factor.

It would be easier to inspect the interior for any failure of a spoke. It might help with cooling of the tread. Sealing it might affect the dynamic structure.

If the spoke section is durable enough, I could see where one could have a semi-permanent wheel and an attached tire.

Isn't that already something encountered by conventional wheel/tire combinations? I've had dozens of rocks of varying sizes firmly wedged in the tread grooves of my cars' tires. I've heard of rocks bouncing around inside aluminum/magnesium wheels. I've seen rocks trapped between wheel covers and steel wheels. Mud, ice, or other assorted debris does get caught in wheels. You should have seen the time I tried to wash off the mud patch I encountered next to a construction site left behind by the construction equipment. It didn't seem that deep until I went over it. I literally had to take off the wheels and scrape off the caked on mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back