Honda Accord keyless entry malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Accord EX Coupe has 103,000 miles on it. The factory keyless entry will not lock or unlock either door now. The dome lamp still turns on when you press unlock and the trunk release still works from the remote control. The windows will not come down when the unlock button is held down and the doors will not unlock or lock with the remote control.

Any Honda guru's here have any ideas on this? I figure it has to be a module failure since both the locks and windows don't work with the remote control, but am not sure what to look for. The windows and lock all work fine from their respective switches inside the car.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

The dome light coming on would appear to rule out an issue with the remote or its battery. I agree it sounds like a module issue. Or it could be a loose wire. If you can get to it, try tracing the wires and cleaning connections. Have you looked for the service manual? It might have a troubleshooting flow chart for it.

I have a TV remote that controls multiple devices that will only do certain things if the battery is dying. It'll let me change channels and adjust the volume on the DVR, but it won't save the codes for the TV so it won't let me turn it on and off... I replaced the batteries and everything worked again
thumbsup2.gif
So maybe that's the same case with your keyless entry remote?

Will try the simple fix first and replace the battery. The lock function has not worked in a long time. This car belongs to the girl I am dating now and I'd like to fix it for her. She has just been unlocking and locking it with the key until now. Honda estimated over $200 to fix it.

She said there was also an intermittent problem with her electric window not working that started at the same time the door lock problem started. I'm thinking there may be a control module in the door that has a loose connection or bad ground or maybe it got wet. Passenger window works fine.

I'll take it apart this weekend and see what I find. Any other info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I have a TV remote that controls multiple devices that will only do certain things if the battery is dying.

That's because the contacts under some of the buttons are dirty. When the battery voltage drops, the resistance is too high on some buttons.

I had that problem with my receiver remote last night (literally 5 minutes before reading his post). I popped open the remote, and cleaned the circuit board and the contacts with rubbing alcohol and put it back together. It works great again. That's the second time I've had to clean that remote.

My initial assumption when reading his post was that he had the same problem. I was going to suggest taking it apart and cleaning it until I saw the unlock button turns on the dome light. If the unlock button turns on the dome light, then it must be making contact, and the car must be receiving the signal.

The car is receiving the signal. I can hear relays clicking and can hear noise in the door when I press the lock or unlock buttons on the remote. But the door locks themselves do not move in either direction when I use the remote. The door locks work by using the door lock switch on the arm rest, though.

There is also a function to lower the windows if you hold down the unlock button on the remote for a few seconds. That function is not working either.

There has to be either a bad electrical connection or a defective module somewhere in the car. I am just not familiar enough with late model Hondas to know how it works and what to test for. I'm trying to find info on Honda message boards too. I'll see if there is a Haynes Book for the car but I don't expect it to have this kind of info.

Thanks.

Around our house, if I don't like how something is working, I take it apart :)

Since its clicking, I'd take the door panel off and have a look. Start with the source of the noise and go from there. Make sure the linkage is all still connected. If so, maybe the solenoid is weak, or the linkage is binding and needs lubricated.

I would have assumed it would be the same solenoid for the remote unlock as the switch, but apparently not...

If you have the China made actuator, the plastic drive shaft may have sheared. Had the same problem on a 2003 Mazda. Makes noise but no actuation.
Take it apart and trouble shoot before throwing money at it.

I will take a look at the car as soon as she has time for it. I wonder though if the actuator is bad, then how does the door lock system still operate from the switch on the arm rest?

I've yet to own a car with an electronic key or keyless locks, etc. When one of these things fails, I assume you always have a real key for backup purposes, right? How reliable are these gadgets? How often do their batteries need replacement? It almost sounds like they're more trouble than they're worth?

I haven't had the chance to look at it yet. My GF hasn't been able to find time for it and although she appreciates my offer to fix it, it isn't very high on her priority list right now. When she and I have the time I hope to take a crack at it.

My guess is a bad ground or the controller. I have an 04 accord that from time to time the lock function will not work from the remote or the buttons on the door. Unlock works fine on both.

Two times I have had the car in for other things and ask the tech to look into it. Both times they could not duplicate the problem. The last time it did it to me was November. Didn't work for 2 weeks. Then one day it worked again. Has been working since.

Have a 98 f150 with keyless that has never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back