WalMart brand Dexron VI ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw WalMart brand Dexron VI for $3.99 per quart, and was attracted by the low price, as all other Dexron VI I have seen elsewhere is $7 or $8 dollars. Any body have an idea as to who makes this product? Any other info on it? Since DexronVI is semi-synthetic, I figure it can't be too bad of a product. Thanks in advance for any information.

I've got it in both cars,(one recommends DEX2, the other DEX3) and it seems to work great. It was 3.49, now 3.79 around here.

This brand of DexVI has been out for a while... there was a big discussion on it a year or two ago. The consensus at the time was that this is a legitimate DexVI, with licence number and all (not a deceptively marketed rip-off like Redline D-6).

And the DexVI spec is so specific that it HAS to be a good product to meet the spec.

Originally Posted By: onion
This brand of DexVI has been out for a while... there was a big discussion on it a year or two ago. The consensus at the time was that this is a legitimate DexVI, with licence number and all (not a deceptively marketed rip-off like Redline D-6).

And the DexVI spec is so specific that it HAS to be a good product to meet the spec.

Well said.

" A deceptively marketed rip-off like Redline D-6". You guys make me laugh often! Have you ever used D-6? I suppose Amsoil ATF is garbage too, being that it's not licensed and therefore must be inferior. I can already sense a "have you read the SAE paper?". Seeing that Redline is such garbage and they are liars, I should give away the stuff in my garage and go get myself some Wally World DEX VI. Laughable........

Last edited:
I never commented on the quality of Redline D-6. Just the marketing.

I'm sure it's a perfectly good ATF. It just isn't DexronVI- and they're clearly marketing it as such.

Personally, I'd have no problem running Amsoil in my own vehicles if the price and availability was more reasonable. I'm not necessarily afraid of a fluid that doesn't technically meet spec. I've interchanged atf, hydraulic oil, p/s fluid, and motor oil on several occasions depending on application and preference. Whitewolf here would blow an o-ring if he knew some of the heinous deeds I've done with assorted automotive & industrial lubricants.

But I'm no fan of deceptive marketing.

My commments were not solely aimed at you, just partially. Amsoil markets there Universal ATF as meeting many OE specs with Dexron VI being one of them. I would be more inclined to look at their marketing before Redline. And I think Amsoil's ATF is an awesome product. Redline is merely meeting the low viscosity requirement for DEX VI and Toyota(WS), Mercedes while providing excellent wear protection. DEX VI and Toyota WS are nothing special. That's been clearly illustrated here in VOA's.

I also didnt mention other "universal" Atfs that claim to be compliant with the new Dex spec. People are overthinking this [censored]. There is a reason universal atf's are taking over and its not because they rely on advertising alone. Redline and amsoil are popular atf's because people switch from OEM and feel a difference in shift quality or maybe how much longer the fluid lasts in service. [censored] advertising only goes so far. I have said it before on here, I have a work truck (suburban) with over 200,000 running Redline D4. It shifts like the day I bought it. No seal leaks.

To each his own. Redline actually makes some of the best ATF out there, and I have used quite a few. I have learned that the only real way to find what works is to try a bunch of different products and see which one performs best. Im with you on deceptive marketing, but im just not seein it with Redline.

Guys let's stay objective here.

Q: is Wallys Dex VI a decent product
A: Yes

I myself apprehensive as it is only 3.xx per quart. I was looking at mobil 1 Dex VI, which is $7 a quart, but I will try the wallys for my first few drains to breakin my tfr case.

I have to train myself to not think price=quality but be objective. looks like a VOA of wallys Dex VI :)

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Guys let's stay objective here.

Q: is Wallys Dex VI a decent product
A: Yes

I myself apprehensive as it is only 3.xx per quart. I was looking at mobil 1 Dex VI, which is $7 a quart, but I will try the wallys for my first few drains to breakin my tfr case.

I have to train myself to not think price=quality but be objective. looks like a VOA of wallys Dex VI :)

We are in the same boat. I wish to buy Mobil VI, but can't find it. I would buy Amsoil, but I am a little reluctant since it is not Dexron VI certified. Guess I'll use the Wally Dex VI and change it a little more frequently.

I would be careful about what brand of Dexron VI you use, it might be a good idea to check out the Flash and Pour Points versus other Dexron VI fluids.

I am only speaking from what I have read since there are now many Mercon V transmission fluids that do not have as good a flash and pour point as Motorcraft Mercon V. There are some transmission fluids that meet the Mercon V spec, and have better numbers than Motorcraft Mercon V.

There has to be a difference between Dexron VI which is $7.00 a quart versus the Wal-Mart brand which is like $3.00 a quart.

I found mobil at a local lub dealer, u go to mobil website and look up dealer and start calling.

I read on mobil web that m1 dexvi is a semi syn product just as dex vi specs

I agree all dexvi are not equal but price is not an indicator of proportional longivity.
just cuz wally's dexvi is half as much m1 does not that it is half as good. :)

Originally Posted By: brian12

Does anyone have a spec sheet for the fluid? I'd like to know the flash point.

It will be about 200C

Quote:
I would buy Amsoil, but I am a little reluctant since it is not Dexron VI certified.

If they say it meets the spec then it has to meet the spec or its false advertising.

Licensed means you paid to have it tested and now you pay them royalties on all ATF you sell. All these ATF brands with licenses are basically the same. A few companies make it and rebrand under other names so they don't need another license.

I have used Amsoil ATF in all my GM vehicles dating back to 1979. I currently have had it in my 2008 GMC Sierra SLT Extended Cab Pickup since Aug of 2007. Works great, my friend has it in his 1996 Silverado 4x4 Z71 since 1997 and over 150,000 miles plowing snow and using truck in his service station business. Never a problem with the trans.

The Dexron VI spec does not mean its synthetic. According the a MSDS I have for Petro-Canada Dexron VI ATF it says; Mixture of severely hydrotreated and hydrocracked base oil (petroleum)

Mike_dup1 said:
Quote:

If they say it meets the spec then it has to meet the spec or its false advertising.

If the fluid does not contain the required additive/s at the required treat rate/s and also has passed all of the specified tests then by definition it does not meet the specification. I find your "false advertising" comment rather interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back