Windows 7 O/S...when will it be released....

Status
Not open for further replies.
....."for real," i.e., not the beta version?

I'm holding off on replacing my six-year old desktop (XP Pro)with a new laptop until AFTER Vista goes "good-bye" and "7" appears as the new O/S.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
They are shooting for Jan 2010.

I hope the computers running the launch aren't Vista operated or it will be either disastrous or delayed!
LOL.gif

Pablo,

Now, now. I don't hate Vista. However, there is no use purchasing a laptop this summer with some form of Vista on it, only to have MS "upgrade" to "7" a few months later.

Rumor has it the "upgrade" from XP to "7" will be more seamless and less frustrating than the upgrade from Vista to "7."

Kinda like upgrading from Synpower to Amsoil.
grin2.gif

If you were upgrading from Windows to Linux then I would say synpower to Amsoil... Amsoil is nowhere near Microsoft!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Pablo,

Now, now. I don't hate Vista. However, there is no use purchasing a laptop this summer with some form of Vista on it, only to have MS "upgrade" to "7" a few months later.

That makes some level of sense. I see people avoid Vista (and actually spend money to do so) and what do they use their PC's for? Web surfing.

Quote:

The whole hate Vista thing is way out of hand.

Believe it or not, MS isn't listening to you since they already have your $$; they are listening to corporations who pay ongoing support contracts and the corporations are saying "We don't want to deploy it."

PC's @ our site 8000+, Vista installs, 0.

Last edited:
I got Vista on my new laptop which I do all kinds of things on aside from web surfing and had 0 problems... But when I first installed it on my desktop early on in its release it was a bit of a nightmare.

I think Microsoft's problem is that they rush things to market without testing it fully because they want to get it out there and they [censored] off their customers in the process.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think Microsoft's problem is that they rush things to market without testing it fully because they want to get it out there and they [censored] off their customers in the process.

Ironic, since it was ~4 years *late*.

I wonder if their problem is that there are either too many cooks ("cooks" meaning the accounting people, the marketing people, the infinitum of software development people, etc.) standing around the pot to do anything right; or that they're trying to be all things to all people, and just suck too much to do it.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Ironic, since it was ~4 years *late*.

I wonder if their problem is that there are either too many cooks ("cooks" meaning the accounting people, the marketing people, the infinitum of software development people, etc.) standing around the pot to do anything right; or that they're trying to be all things to all people, and just suck too much to do it.

I didn't know it was late... Probably too many cooks...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Believe it or not, MS isn't listening to you since they already have your $$.....

Rest assured - we have some version of XP at work, and as many times as I've screamed and begged for Bill Gates intervention during the BSOD or other slowness - I KNOW he's not listening!

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I didn't know it was late... Probably too many cooks...

The original announced release date was some time in '03. It kept getting pushed back incrementally.

Here's the Wikipedia entry for reference, if you're bored.

Wasn't that Blackcomb? (aka, Windows 7?) Because Vista was a stop-gap to make up for the pushing back of Blackcomb......

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Believe it or not, MS isn't listening to you since they already have your $$; they are listening to corporations who pay ongoing support contracts and the corporations are saying "We don't want to deploy it."

PC's @ our site 8000+, Vista installs, 0.

Exactly! And the large corporations that have dealt with MS for years are controlling this issue very well, thank you. No Vista on any PC's at work here either... well over 12,000 units.

I have 4 Vista machines in production (not including mine). 3 of those are laptops. The end-users generally like Vista once they get over the hump of plain-jane XP.

That's 4 out of around 400 computers...not much for MS to brag about.

I wold use Vista more, but why? Win7 is where it's at IMO. I'll wait til then to user XP out the door...

Good riddance, too. The network stack on XP 32bit is lackluster. XP64/Win2003 server x64 network stack is far better from what I've tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back