Best Oil for a 2005 Jeep Wrangler 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Wrangler on order and expect to take delivery on it later this month. I believe (but without the owners manual, I'm not certain) that Jeep calls for 10W-30. If I plan on changing the oil at 5K mile OCI's and plan to use an M1 oil filter any recommendations on oil? Stick with a 10W-30? Dino or synthetic? Also, I've always changed the oil on my new vehicles when they hit 1K miles. I felt that I could remove any particles from the new engine that way. Is this a good idea or a waste of oil? Thanks.

I also change my oil and filter around 1k. My 02 Jeep does call for 10w-30 BUT the Jeep engines give better wear numbers with thicker oil such as 15w-40.

But being under warranty you should stay with the recomended oil.

I don't believe Mobil-1 is a good chioce in the Jeep engines and you can get as good or better wear numbers using Pennz or Havoline/Chevron at a much lower cost.

The Jeep 4.0 engines prefer a thick X-W-30 or an X-W-40 weight. M1 showed great results in both of my Jeeps with the exception of iron numbers (which were high but at the average for that engine). Moving to Amsoil 10W-40 dropped the iron down lower. I don't know how the new Mobil formulations will compare though.

I prefer to keep a synthetic in all of my vehicles for the added temperature extremes here in Iowa. I also like the idea of a 1000 mile initial OCI unless the owners manual prohibits it.

I'd use a "thicker" 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 that meets the more stringent ACEA, A3/B4 specifications....

If you insist on running a Mobil formulation, I'd ignore the 10w-30 recommendation entirely and use the Mobil 1, 5w-40....

Tooslick

My 1995 Jeep 4.0 is now aproaching 190,000 miles. I use Mobil1 10w30 and PureOne oil filter for each 5,000 mile oil change. The engine has never had the valve cover off and consumes ~1/2-3/4 quart each 5000 miles.

Quote:
I have a new Wrangler on order and expect to take delivery on it later this month. I believe (but without the owners manual, I'm not certain) that Jeep calls for 10W-30.

Use the factory fill for 3.5-4K.... then switch to a good synthetic in the oil weight listed in your new owner's manual. Do not use other weights & don't exceed the mileage OCIs set by Chrysler for the length of your new vehicle warranty.

What type of driving do you do? The reason that I ask is that some jeep owners, that are primarily short trip drivers, have done well with 10w-30 oils. Keep in mind that in just about anything under 15 miles of driving, you're still probably a grade higher than your oil visc just due to temp. The curious thing that you run into is that if you use a 40 weight, it pays you to use a synthetic just because the dino oils are such a drag in a short trip driving environment. This can be expensive if you're a 3-5k OCI type ..when a dino is clearly the way to go. If you don't have extreme climate, or extreme service, synths aren't worth it in short OCI's. Some use them anyway
dunno.gif

If you do around 15k (or less) a year, you can use T&SUV for 6 month OCIs and it should work well. It should roughly fall in your factory recommended OCI. Your owners manual recommendation is for a lame attempt at fuel economy. You'll note that 5w-30 and 10w-30 are both 30 weights ..yet it (5w-30) is not recommended for use over a certain ambient temp. That is probably because they will probably shear to a 20 weight over the OCI ..and that isn't a recommended oil under any circumstances in this engine.

Just my $0.02
smile.gif

[ June 03, 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Well ..let me meet him. I want to shake his hand. That's a 1000 miles a week for 15 years ..or 600 a week for 25 years. If it's kilometers ..it's 600 miles a week for 15 years. Not to doubt the possibility of such a thing ...but that's a "career" type use of one automobile. What was it in? It sure must have had a comfortable seat ..and durable as well.

Gary
Most of my driving is >50 miles per trip (e.g., travel to work, 1-way, 50 miles). A trip into town would be ~25 miles round trip. My vehicles tend to see anywhere from 25K to 35K miles per year. Cost of synthetic isn't too much of an issue. I would rather run 5K OCIs and have a long lasting healthy engine then save a few bucks per year and limit engine life. Thanks for your input.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Well ..let me meet him. I want to shake his hand. That's a 1000 miles a week for 15 years ..or 600 a week for 25 years. If it's kilometers ..it's 600 miles a week for 15 years. Not to doubt the possibility of such a thing ...but that's a "career" type use of one automobile. What was it in? It sure must have had a comfortable seat ..and durable as well.

i believe his name is jeepster nut, its a 1991, he has done some work to it like rear main selas (common on this engine) he is a travelng sales man and drives it a ton.(oboviously)

I've always ran 10W40 in the fall and winter and 15W40 in the spring and summer in all of my 4.0s. It's a fact that they like 40WT oil. Enjoy that new Jeep.

quote:

Most of my driving is >50 miles per trip (e.g., travel to work, 1-way, 50 miles). A trip into town would be ~25 miles round trip. My vehicles tend to see anywhere from 25K to 35K miles per year.

Well, you've got some decent commuting time at full operating temp, so the use of something like Delvac 1300 15w-40 won't over tax your fuel economy ..and should easily last your 5k with ample reserve. If you don't mind spending approx 3X the price then M1 T&SUV would be your synth of choice.

Given your annual mileage, however, I would do two 3 month OCIs, doing a UOA on the second. Then extend months as long as everything stayed in line. 15k is entirely within T&SUV's capability. Depending on how 4 seasons your climate may be, that might end up being a 6 month OCI.

With your type of driving, the rest of the jeep will be long rotted away before the 4.0 starts showing signs of decay. Aside from the rear main drip ..maybe a timing chain .. the thing is pretty much bulletproof.

[ June 04, 2005, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back