1MZ-FE OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 97 Avalon with the 1MZ-FE and I want to extend the OCI to 5,000 miles, as the car burns about a quart every 1000 miles. car has 147000 miles on it. Is it safe, knowing the history of the engine as a sludger to extend the OCI, being that I add about 2 quarts over a 3k mile oil change?

How long does it take to put on the 5000 miles? I'd not go more than 6 months with that engine, regardless of mileage.

It depends on why it's burning as well. Are you sure the PCV is in good shape, etc? What is the history of this engine? Have you been the sole owner? If not, was it checked for sludge?

Change your PCV and do 2 Auto-RX cleaning/rinse cycles and then maybe you can think about extending your change to this long. The ARX might just stop the consumption if it's a stuck ring or sludge causing it...
wink.gif

The consumption MAY (notice this is not definate) be due to sludge forming. I think consumption is one of the signs of sludge formation.

That's why I asked, and would not recommend anything until I know more details.

I changed the PCV very recently and it stopped the valve cover gaskets from weeping so I know its doing something. I mean the engine is getting old, so some consumption is expected right?

People have recommended time and time again not to exceed 3k mile OCI's with this engine due to the design. I had a '97 Avalon that was on a strict diet of Castrol GTX 3k mile OCI's that never burned a drop of oil in the 93k miles my family has owned it.

Stick to a inexpensive oil that's on sale and meets the engine spec and follow the 3k mile OCI's.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
I mean the engine is getting old, so some consumption is expected right?

Not on this motor that has been well maintained.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Originally Posted By: parimento1
I mean the engine is getting old, so some consumption is expected right?

Not on this motor that has been well maintained.

+1
thumbsup2.gif
Not usually a Toyota with this low of miles...

Even on the amsoil website they agree with the 5k OCI with their synthetic. So when you're able to stabilize the burning, it would seem like a good choice. Otherwise, maybe not.

I heeded your advice and changed the oil tonight with ~4000 miles on it. I used Pro-Line that I got on sale at Pep Boys, 9.99 for 5 quarts and a Purolator filter. Not a bad deal.

Any plans to do the auto-rx procedures?
I also find long draining time to be beneficial when changing the oil on mine. Six sometimes up to eight ounces of "oil" makes its way out of the sump if I let it drain for hours. Works best when the temps are up, but that's hard to control.

My '96 Camry 1MZ-FE V-6 has 230,000 miles and consumes about a pint of oil between 5,000 to 6,000 mile changes. Oil used is Mobil 1 10W-40 & filters are OE Toyota. I believe the recommendation of the RX treatment and a new PCV valve is correct. If you're going to use a non-synthetic oil, consider change based on time intervals of appx. 4 months, unless you drive appx. 20K yearly. At that annual mileage, I think you'd be fine with 5K dino intervals. From what I read above, however, I agree with the 3,000 mile oil & filter change on the 1MZ-FE of that age & mileage using non-synthetic.

Yea, PCV is almost new, I may consider changing it to an OE one soon, but I have a quality purolator one in there now and it stopped the valve covers gaskets from leaking, so I know it is doing its job of keeping the pressure down in there. I may switch to syn, so I do not have to keep changing the oil as often and use a good filter like a M1 or or equivalent. It is only worth it for me if I can get almost double the OCI out of it though, because the M1 oil itself is almost triple the price of Dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back