Valvoline SynPower 10W-30 vs Napa Syntheic 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil: Valvoline SynPower 10W-30, SM & CF-4, Date of Manufacture 11-29-2007

Since the Napa Synthetic 10w30 I posted a few weeks ago is a Private Label product made for Napa by Valvoline I added it to this thread in the second column for comparison. I hope it does not confuse things.

MI/HR ON OIL:
MI/HR ON UNIT:
DATE:03-28-2008

(Column 1 is SynPower ... Column 2 is Napa)

ALUMINUM: 0...0
CHROMIUM: 0...0
IRON: 1...0
COPPER: 0...0
LEAD: 0...0
TIN: 0...0
MOLY: 3...3
NICKEL: 0...0
MANGANESE: 0...0
SILVER: 0...0
TITANIUM: 0...0
POTASSIUM: 2...0
BORON: 10...1
SILICON: 4...2
SODIUM: 22...294
CALCIUM: 2278...1422
MAGNESIUM: 6...4
PHOSPHOROUS: 595...546
ZINC: 763...699
BARIUM: 0...0

SUS VISC. @210F: 59.5...60.1
Cst Visc. @100C: 10.09...10.26
Flashpoint: 440...460
Fuel %: —–
Antifreeze %: —–
Water %:0.0
Insolubles %:0.0
TBN: 8.8...7.5
TAN:
ISO Code:

The very 1st SynPower VOA!
thumbsup2.gif

Not quite the same as VSOT, though. I admit to being disappointed...
frown.gif

Thank you for getting this test done.
34.gif

i think it looks good. maybe throw in a quart of synpower when you do the oil change. i think it looks good for the most part

FWIW, according to the new Valvoline data sheets, Synpower uses this type of additive package now, except with 490 ppm sodium. Valvoline has gone this way with all their oils - lower calcium and lots of sodium.

Thanks Smithph, you have done the board a great service.

Ain't much phosphorus these days. Is there a trade off value between calcium and sodium, with sodium being the more effective additive?

I really don't know about the sodium deal. I recall some of the expert members here saying it's more of a cost effective additive compared to calcium for deposit reduction and cleaning properties.

Question: Based on this VOA, what is the longest theoretically one could run the Napa oil? I got a case of the stuff dirt cheap at Napa the other day. I couldn't help myself. The price was right...

In testing any new oil (for your car's engine, anyway) us three (3), 3-5k mile runs and then have the samples analyzed.

I still say you can go 10k miles on ANY syn oil, so I wouldn't hesitate to go 6-7k miles...heck, I do that on dino!

The TBN looks a bit low to try and get a long OCI. I have been tempted to try Valvoline synthetic oil because it is cheaper than Mobil 1 (which is what I am using now), but that may be a false economy.

Thanks for the posting and the comments. This explains the odd results I got back in July. I had two UOA's done with Valvoline Synpower. One from my Acura J series and one from my Toyota 1MZ-FE. The Toyota came back with the high Calcium, high Boron low Sodium formulation, the Acura came back with what I now know is the newer formulation.

My 1MZ-FE destroyed the older formulation TBN was 2.0 after only 3400 miles.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Thanks for sharing this BOTH these oils are a bit behind all the other big name players in the additive department.

You can't gain much just from looking at additive levels in a $10 oil analysis. Valvoline uses a state of the art ZDP that others don't. Many others are adding sodium as well now wince it's such a good detergent additive.

Maxlife arguably has the best additive package of any SM/GF-4 oil, with the new ZDP, sodium, and lots of moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back