Delo 15W40 in a Ford 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my Ford 4.6, I have been vocal about believing 5W20 is fine for these, but its summertime here in Florida and figure I can give straight Delo 15W40 a try and dump if not happy. I am very open to changing my view if proof is given on anything.

So far no change in gas mileage or power, actually cannot notice any change at all, even when I hit the redline as often as I do. Even when (Florida) cold no noticeable difference. I have a new scanner than gives instant engine load percentages, so am learning what loads this thing runs at most of the time. Will keep updated and see how it continues, I have some Supertech 10W30 and Mobil 5W20 to get rid of and will compare against the Delo to see if the cold load at idle changes any. That would give a good idea of the engine power needed to pump the cold oil. Also I have an oil seperator on my PCV line as these motors are notorious for sucking oil from the cover, will see how that changes as well.

Main thing to figure out is the drain back problems of the 4.6 on the passenger head, I described this before on this site. My is double fold as the PCV is on this side, and the exhaust feed to the EGR is on this side as well.

Another interesting post I just did is in the oil filter section, I learned some new stuff on bypass valves.

quote:

Originally posted by Mud:
I would be interested in your observations. I use Motorcraft 5W-30 in the 4.6 in my 95 Crown Vic year-round with very good results. I see about 1/2 to 1 qt consumption between my 5K OCI's (no exhaust smoke observed), so I wonder if the 15W-40 would be practical in this case as well. Climate here in TX is similar to yours. My concern was initial oiling at "cold" starts from these top-oiling modular motors.

Will keep updated, though I don't think the 4.6 has any worse problem with start up oiling than any other motor. Its main problem is the drainback from the heads especially the passenger side.

My dad has run Dello400 in his 98 f150 with the 4.6 for a few years now. aucaly he uses it in all our cars, and really dosn't plan on chaning his oil of choice. it seems to work fine for him.

We had an F-150 at work (4.6 1997) and it went 230,000 miles on 15W-40 before it was wrecked. Truck ran well until its end too. No problems.

I have stated this before. IMHO, the Ford Modular engine line doesn't seem to care what weight oil is in it. A 0w-20 will protect just as good as a 20w-50 when warm in these engines. My only observation with the engines is that you need an oil that will flow fast on start-up and a filter with a good ADBV. These engines are very humble and will enjoy whatever oil you feed them.

We run Delo 15w-40 in the 03’ 5.4L F250 @ work and I run Pennzoil 10w-30 in my 04’ 5.4L F150. No problems, trucks run good. I’ll bet in Florida you won’t have a problem.

I would be interested in your observations. I use Motorcraft 5W-30 in the 4.6 in my 95 Crown Vic year-round with very good results. I see about 1/2 to 1 qt consumption between my 5K OCI's (no exhaust smoke observed), so I wonder if the 15W-40 would be practical in this case as well. Climate here in TX is similar to yours. My concern was initial oiling at "cold" starts from these top-oiling modular motors.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
These engines are very humble and will enjoy whatever oil you feed them.

I like that quote!

I think that I will go with the 15W-40 next change just to check it out. Filter will remain the MC FL820S.

thanks
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back