2008 Cobalt LIM or Head Gasket Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I checked my fiance's 2008 Cobalt with the 2.2L Ecotec tonight. I noticed a slight bit of moisture on the dip stick. I turned off the oil cap and noticed a lot more moisture. The oil was just changed 1400 miles ago. It is normally driven on the interstate at 75 mph for 17 miles each day on a 20 mile one-way trip.

I had the car today so, it did have a short trip or two. I suppose it is possible that some moisture could have been introduced, but I doubt it would be that much.

Anyway, I used the search function here but didn't find anything on this. My question is, Do these Ecotecs have any LIM and/or head gasket problems? It's under warranty, so this isn't a big issue, but I'm just curious. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow regardless.

Thanks!

No, they do not have head gasket problems. They can't leak from the intake gasket because no coolant flows through the plastic intake manifold.

Is the coolant level low?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
No, they do not have head gasket problems. They can't leak from the intake gasket because no coolant flows through the plastic intake manifold.

Is the coolant level low?

This is re-assuring since I'm not all that familiar with this engine platform other than what I've read in reviews.

The coolant level didn't look low, but I guess I've never really looked at it before since the car is still relatively new. I suppose maybe I should contact Blackstone for another kit just to be safe.

17 miles on highway in Iowa winter and you consider that a reasonable operating temp for the engine?

I personally ran cars on highway to clean combustion chambers (with PEA such as Gumout Regaine, etc.) continuously on highway for hours, sometimes days (like runs down to San Fran and back, which is about 22hrs one way). That way, engine has no moisture trapped inside the crankcase and oil.

Q.

+1
These Ecotecs are great engines, I have never heard of anyone having any type of gasket issue with them. They are the best 4 cyl GM has ever made (which I know isn't saying much) but they really are right up there with the best 4 cyl Honda/Toyota engines.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
So I checked my fiance's 2008 Cobalt with the 2.2L Ecotec tonight. I noticed a slight bit of moisture on the dip stick.

I've noticed the same thing on my 2007 if it's not run up and held at a normal operating temp for some time. I recently let mine just idle in the driveway for ~20min to let it warm up for an oil change. The oil fill cap was beaded up with moisture. The oil life monitors on these do count down fast with cold starts to accommodate I presume. The Ecotecs do have a strange PCV system. From what I understand, the vacuum side (where your actual PCV valve would go) is ported directly from the cylinder head, to the intake manifold. It's all 'internal'. Basically there's a hole in the head that mates up with one of the intake runners. I caught a thread somewhere, some time ago where early Ecotecs had gasket material inadvertently covering this port causing blockage. Obviously a rarity or we'd have heard more about it given the number that are on the road. I wouldn't stress about what you found. Today's engines are buttoned up pretty tight to prevent any evaporative emissions.

Joel

My apologies for bringing back an old thread. I changed the oil in it last night, and moisture was still on the dipstick, oil cap, and in the oil filter housing. This was after a couple 60 degree days and 80 mile round trips--she drives a lot.

I've sent a sample into Blackstone and will post the results when I have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back