Prestone All Makes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from Meijers with two gallons of Prestone All Makes and Models 150/5 coolant. They had a rebate to get one free so I got it for $10.99.

Hail to the almighty BITOG'ers, what did I buy? OAT or HOAT? Anyone have an MSDS? How does it compare to Peak Global or G05 in terms of cavitation erosion, phosphate/silicate content, aluminum and cast iron, and lead soldered radiator/heater core compatibility?
36.gif

It is thought to be a Dexcool clone which makes it an OAT. If it is a Dexclone then you must make sure that air can't enter the system. If air is kept out Dexcool can be a decent coolant.

You guys are bumming me out... Both apps I have are not sealed systems - they have puke tanks
37.gif

Frankly, I think as long as your cooling system is not damaged, you can run most all-makes fluids for a year without any problems.

Just do a good flush between fills.

I don't think it's silicated at all. What do you want to use it in anyway? "All Makes" is just that. I wouldn't overthink it.

What is the make and model of vehicle this is going in?

When I was preparing to do a drain and fill on my Ranger I found an article about Ford's stance on all makes/all models coolant. They advised against using it because of the lack of silicates. Apparently Ford wants some silicates in the coolant. I decided to play it safe and stick with G-05. Zerex G-05, which is approved by Ford, Chrysler, and many other manufacturers, is about $15/gallon at Napa.

The DexCool Prestone antifreeze is clearly labeled. The one with a rebate is an ethylene glycol base antifreeze with no silicates.

First and primary for this coolant use is an '85 F150. It may be old, but engine and radiator have been rebuilt and replaced, respectively. Iron block and iron heads. The other application I have, but was considering Peak Global or G05 (if I can find it) is a '00 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L 6VD1 which is all aluminum.

After reading this blog, I googled the prestone all makes and found there is some concern / controversy. I put a fresh engine, radiator and heater core in my 93 explorer and used...what else Prestone all makes antifreeze. After all, I have always used Prestone and assumed it thought it would be best. Turns out that this is an OAT antifreeze and has EH2 acid in it that can eat certain gaskets. I can't understand how a company as old and established as Prestone can promise this is good for all makes and models when Ford says no. Valvoline has sued Prestone over this. I'm reading that Peak Global is the best choice versus Prestone because it doesn't have the acid in it that eats gaskets. I really don't want to flush and refill this vehicle as it is a real pain to burp out the air. Does anyone know specifics about the Prestone product and potential damage?

Prestone coolant has been mediocre at best through recent years.
I have been made a believer in Peak coolants, after speaking to motorcyle mechanics and such have told me it's the only coolant that does well at protecting the magnesium and aluminum used on bikes. I've been switching over all my veh's to the Global coolant
as flush's are coming due. Peak just plain has better protection for engine metals.

My '96 FORD Windstar came with green coolant.
I switched it over to G-05
You can find G-05 under the Zerex name as well as Motorcraft Gold.
Mopar and Mercedes have is also.

If it does not say G-05 on the label.....it is not G-05
I have found that not a lot of auto part stores carry the G-05, and those names that do.....can be dependant upon that particular store operator as to if they stock it or not.
I have bought my Zerex G-05 at CarQuest.

I am not up on any issues with Prestone, although I do know that the "Yellow" jug is no longer the "green stuff", it is a silicate free coolant.

G-05 is a "low silicate" coolant that is long life rated.
The "traditional green" silicate coolant that I have read about (Peak and Zerex both had one) are also lower silicate...vs the high silicate of years gone by.

Peak and Zerex both have good websites that are a good read

+1. That said, the article is from 04, but it does help some with selection of a coolant.

Back to the title topic. I have used Prestone Extended Life/All Makes with confidence in two different make vehicles.

I've total flushed and used it in an Tacoma truck. I flushed the Toyota pink and refilled with the Prestone. I've had no issues and feel very confident using it in a 50% concentration.

I total flushed an Altima and refilled with Prestone All Makes with confidence. Quite honestly, I don't know whether it is a HOAT or and OAT. I'd try and stay away from Dex Cool, except for a GM vehicle.

From reading, it does seem that this 'G-05' is preferable in Ford and Chrysler, and I would seek it out for those makes. But, I would not pay some of the outrageous prices I've seen quoted here recently. As for Honda, I would want to use Honda brand 100k coolant, much as I would their tranny fluid.

Lastly, IMO this 50/50 premix stuff is a rip off. Half of it is distilled water. In the case of Prestone All Makes the undiluted only costs a buck more than the premix. Also, if you use a method of flushing several times, without opening block drains, it would be difficult if not impossible to get a 50% concentration, using a premix.

+1 on using G-05 or at the very least use a low silicate green antifreeze, but never Deathcool or Deathcool clones. Most aftermarket, long-life antifreeze is 2EHA (Dexcool) Peak, Prestone, and Walmart Long-life are all 2EHA. I would avoid them like the plague. I agree with wiswind - if it is G-05 it will be stated on the label. I buy Motorcraft when I can't find Xerex. I get Motorcraft at my Ford dealer for $15.00 a gallon, which is higher than Xerex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back