We bought this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9218358&type=product&id=1218060783906

Thanks for all of your recommendations and help choosing a lap top! When all was said and done I liked what a few of you said about the Mac and that is what the wife wanted in the first place. She loves the Mac! She's doing all kinds of stuff that I didn't know she knew how to do. The school she went to used Macs and I guess it's like finding an old friend again. I haven't been on it much as I now have the HP Pavilion all to myself. Works for us.

Questions for Mac users:

I can upgrade to 4mb of RAM for approximately $200. Is it worth it? (The wife says it is fast enough but I like to tweak stuff. Well I like to think I like to tweak stuff if that makes sense.)

Is there any software that you have found that we might not know about, that you guys like? Word processors?

And if there is anything other that you would like to share with us about macs, feel free. (Translation = Free Advice)

Thanks Yall!
banana2.gif

$200 is too much for 4GB of ram... You can buy it and put it in yourself way cheaper, or buy it and have it installed by a computer guy cheaper...

The system comes with 2 GB, right?

Honestly, I'd just leave it at that unless you're planning to use it to run Virtual Machines (Parallels, VMWare Fusion, VirtualBox, etc.) or do a lot of work with large images. I have 4 GB in mine because I run VMs.

If you do decide to upgrade, I agree with StevieC that $200 is too much. I think you should be able to order 4 GB from NewEgg or similar for < $100. The installation is easy, and there are even instructions in the owner's manual, IIRC. If not they're available plenty of places online. One of my friends runs a Mac parts website that provides disassembly and maintenance instructions for free. I'd link to it but I'm not sure that's allowed.

Quote:

Word processors?

Well, Open Office finally runs on the mac without the X11 compatibility package. Just loaded on Mom's Imac Saturdsy...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah

I was gonna do this one x 2.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8507181&type=product&id=1186004973189&ref=20&loc=45

Maybe I'll look around...

Ah, that makes sense. There's nothing special about Apple laptop RAM, especially now that they're using Intel processors. If I were you I'd order from NewEgg or similar and just make sure to get a reputable brand like Crucial. IIRC Apple usually ships with Crucial or Micron (same company) branded RAM (or used to, anyway).

No reason to pay a premium just for Apple labeled memory.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Originally Posted By: StevieC
$200 is too much for 4GB of ram... You can buy it and put it in yourself way cheaper, or buy it and have it installed by a computer guy cheaper...

I was gonna do this one x 2.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8507181&type=product&id=1186004973189&ref=20&loc=45

Maybe I'll look around...

You being in the US, I would check out New Egg, Tigerdirect.com or crucial.com BestBuy is way over priced IMO.

Then get a geek to install it, or do it yourself... I would put the ram in, will make life a bit faster and then you will be set for a long time.

Some off-brands of ram are junk, and some are fine.

I go to Newegg and get the cheapest thing thats highly rated. Last time I got desktop ram it was around $20 after rebate for 2G.

I have used this Chip Manufacturer (Hynix) before with excellent results... Don't know who G Skill is but I know this ram will do you just fine.

cheers3.gif

I recently bought that same 4GB package consisting of 2x2gb chips.. I stuck one in my new EeePC and one in the daughter's laptop. Excellent ram for the price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back