best stop leak....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Bars to stop leaks as well as Good Old Silver Seal. Both products worked to my satisfaction over the years. I followed directions and made sure I had the heater on when I used the products.

I'd give two thumbs up to the Bars product, and still have a bottle on hand.

I forgot to mention that the pellets I used were suspended in a brown liquid. They weren't the dry pills which are kind of gold-colored and about the size of a silver dollar.

This is what I used:
http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm

I do have a small stock of the dry pills, but have never used them.

Not to thread-jack, but, my wife's 2005 CR-V has a very small coolant leak. I cannot find it (can smell it outside the car), and it is so minor that over 6 months the coolant level has decreased only a very tiny bit.

Which product is best in this situation?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loogie
I forgot to mention that the pellets I used were suspended in a brown liquid. They weren't the dry pills which are kind of gold-colored and about the size of a silver dollar.

This is what I used:
http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm

Not to thread-jack, but, my wife's 2005 CR-V has a very small coolant leak. I cannot find it (can smell it outside the car), and it is so minor that over 6 months the coolant level has decreased only a very tiny bit.

Which product is best in this situation?

I would use the Bars stop leak, it's not going to harm anything.

I've seen GM stopleak pellets work miracles. Don't know about stopping up heater cores and such. Probably any would do it if you dump enough into the cooling system.

Personally, I'd avoid the aluminum powder style stopleak. Dumping little chunks of metal into your cooling system doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I used Bars Leak in an older Ford Explorer to seal the heater core. It sealed the heater core and then some. The engine overheated and the head gasket blew. I put in more Bars leak to seal the head gasket. Well...I then had to tear down the engine to replace the head gasket. All of the water ports were completely plugged. Too much of this product is not good for an engine regardless that GM uses it. I have seen the results first hand. I ended up replacing the engine, radiator and heater core. I will NEVER buy Bars Leak again. I recommend just replacing what is broken. This gunk will not solve any problems, it just potentially clogs water passages and the cooling system in general. Way to much risk for the short lived quick fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back