avgscan.exe - Windows Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
This program starts every morning at 9:00. While this program runs the CPU Usage goes as high as 100%. Actually it changes % every second or two. Should I turn off this program or just let it run?

Let it run.

It is scanning your computer for viruses. If it affects your computer and bothers you set it for a different time when the computer will be on but no one is using it.

I have mine scan at 0700 hrs.

Last edited:
It's using that much of the CPU because it can and because there are not many if not any other applications running.

It should be set at a low enough priority that when you try to execute something else it doesn't get bogged down by AVG.

I opened up AVG program from the desktop and it showed that only 1/2 of the items it covers or scans for were up to date. So I did the up date and manually ran the scan. So far it's been running for 1 hr. / 30 mins.

That's normal. Mine runs similarly as long... No worries... Just minimize and do whatever!
grin2.gif

I set my AVG to update at every startup but, I only do a scan every week or two. This on general advice from Smart Computing group Q&A.

Because I leave my computer on all the time I set it to do an update at 3am then scan the computer every night at 4am. It's done by 7am when I get up and then I know my computer is well protected because it is scanned every night.

With my laptop I set it around 7pm when I know I'm just surfing the web and it won't tie up too much horsepower.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Because I leave my computer on all the time I set it to do an update at 3am then scan the computer every night at 4am. It's done by 7am when I get up and then I know my computer is well protected because it is scanned every night.

With my laptop I set it around 7pm when I know I'm just surfing the web and it won't tie up too much horsepower.

Does your AV scan in real time? Back when I had Windows boxen, and used AVG Free, I just used the real time scanner and never ran a full scan; thinking they were redundant.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
since the advent of virtulization software, I haven't scanned my computer in about 2 years!

I've mentioned this before on here,but nobody seems interested,so I just watch everyone have all kinds of malware problems
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: StevieC

Does your AV scan in real time? Back when I had Windows boxen, and used AVG Free, I just used the real time scanner and never ran a full scan; thinking they were redundant.

Yes it does.

I believe it does real time scanning by default. What you need to do, is go to scheduler and just disable the periodic full scan task (not sure if the free version allows you to do that nowadays).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back