NEED HELP. How to run Antivirus with Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been able to burn Ubuntu CD and download into the infected laptop. Also, I had been able to download eset.com antivirus.

The problem now is, when I tried to run the antivirus by open the download program it asked which Application to open this program and I don't know what this is.

Last edited:
You do not need to use anti virus software on Ubuntu, amigo. No spyware, either.

I know eset will run on Linux based systems, bit I am positive that it is designed for file servers, serving files to [censored] Windows systems.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
If you are trying to use a Windows AV program on Ubuntu you will have difficulties.

It is not clear what you are trying to do....

My laptop is infected with virus, I can not boot in normal mode nor safe mode.

I tried to do PC restore with Microsoft Windows CD but not successful.

I'm in the PC restore mode "R", when I do the checkdisk command "CHKDSK", it said "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".

I'm thinking to delete all files in hard drive to reinstall Windows using CD. How do I do this delete all files ?

I accept that all data will be lost, and the laptop would be like the new one and start from scratch.

take the hard disk in question then connect it to another working PC that has up to date A/V & Anti-Spyware software on it. Do a complete & thorough scan of that hard drive on this other system. This step usually gets rid of enough junk on the computer that it becomes usable again.

Then reinstall back into the original system and re-run AntiSpyware & A/V scans.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
take the hard disk in question then connect it to another working PC that has up to date A/V & Anti-Spyware software on it. Do a complete & thorough scan of that hard drive on this other system. This step usually gets rid of enough junk on the computer that it becomes usable again.

Then reinstall back into the original system and re-run AntiSpyware & A/V scans.

If you're unable to do this, there may be better bootable CD's to use than Ubuntu, which is meant as a desktop OS demo. Here are a couple of helpful URL's for A/V oriented bootable CD's:

http://www.rarst.net/software/drweb-livecd/

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=103600

The hard drive of Dell Vostro 1000 is the side-mounted drive, its shape is not possible to be mounted to other laptops.
How do you "Connect it to another working PC" without install it ?

I think the hard drive is badly damaged because the chkdsk response: "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems". I may look at buying a replacement hard drive and start from scratch.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

If you're unable to do this, there may be better bootable CD's to use than Ubuntu, which is meant as a desktop OS demo. Here are a couple of helpful URL's for A/V oriented bootable CD's:

http://www.rarst.net/software/drweb-livecd/

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=103600

I downloaded DrWebLiveCD and burn to a CD to try if it would work on infected laptop. I'll let you know in few minutes.
Thanks

GOOD NEWS.

Finally, I had been able to re-install Microsoft Windows XP. I now have a new laptop and all data was lost. I have to get Firefox, re-install Symentec and some others, but at least I don't have to take it to a shop to have it fixed.

Thank you all for all the helps that you tried to help me the last few days.

Last edited:
Symantec? WHY use Symantec?

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Exactly my thought as well, Probably wouldn't have been infected in first place if you used something else!

I use Symantec because I don't know what else to use, I'm not good with the PC softwares.

Please let me know which is better free Anti Virus software(s) that I can download. TIA

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Great. Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks

AVGfree, Avast, Antivir all free and better anti virus SW. choose one of the 3.
SuperAntiSpyware is a good anti spyware, also get SpyWare Blaster.
Malware Bytes is also good.
Get CCleaner too.

All those above are free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back