Wheels, not Rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: BGK
Boot is the trunk; bonnet is the hood.
Logically you would expect the bonnet to be the roof, i.e. a bonnet usually covers the head like a baby bonnet.

And where do you wear a hood?
wink.gif

The hood is the roof on a convertible, no?
21.gif
The correct for the thing over the engine should be "engine bay lid" or "engine cover" (notice I didn't say "motor"
grin2.gif
)?

Logically you would expect the bonnet to be the roof, i.e. a bonnet usually covers the head like a baby bonnet.

wink.gif

21.gif
The correct for the thing over the engine should be "engine bay lid" or "engine cover" (notice I didn't say "motor"
grin2.gif
)?

No no no, it should be engine covering device with body color matching paint.

wink.gif

21.gif
grin2.gif
)?

A hood and a bonnet are both covers. You mustn't ignore etymology when trying to figure why something has a certain name.

An engine cover is what I took off my engine just to throw it out for good.

...but on a bicycle, the metal thing is indeed called a "rim." Spokes and hub towards the center.

M

Originally Posted By: meep
...but on a bicycle, the metal thing is indeed called a "rim." Spokes and hub towards the center.

M
I recall way back in high school, some of the guys spoke of getting "rim jobs." Is that where you take your bicycle in for the rim to be straightened?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: meep

M

No
212a2oj.jpg

A wheel consists of, from inside to outside, of hub (on, for example, bike or cart wheel), hub /wheel mounting pad (on a modern car), spokes or disc (latter may be bowl-shaped), and rim. Since modern wheels are frequently made out of one piece, the rim is simply the outermost part of the wheel, with the typical modern wheel having a tire bead rim.

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
I have reviewed all of the pertinent, technical data on this thread and have come to the hypothesis that "Rimz Yo" should be the proper terminology here. LOL

Modern ghetto slang takes over our language again!

Originally Posted By: AndyH
What's next...a discussion of "soda" versus "pop"?
Bet ya get a lot of posts if you start a thread.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back