HELP PLEASE !!! Problem(s) with Spyware/Virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
My wife's laptop got that 'Antivirus XP' virus even though the laptop is protected by Symantec.

Civic...: any idea how that happened?

I guess she followed a bad link; there were shortcuts on the desktop to websites. After the reinstall, I removed any shortcuts to IE - she had earlier insisted on using only IE. This time she was forced to use Firefox and is slowly getting used to it. I am hoping the risk has diminished now.

My advice to her has been not to keep any information on the laptop that can't be lost. With her insistence on IE, there had been a few earlier infestations.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Then you are hitting F8 too soon. Try again. You'll get it eventually.

Safe Mode with Networking is what you want.

Also, disable system Restore.

Finally I got to the screen that I can choose "Safe Mode with Networking", by keep hitting F8 after the BIOS ran few seconds.

I selected Safe Mode with Networking and hit enter, cross my fingers that it'll do something to get it back to the day before the stupid Spyware ruin it.

I'll "Disable System Restore" then run some antispywares.

YAY!!!!
grin2.gif

I got the Welcome screen, when I clicked on one of user names it displayed "Loading your personal settings" for a second or two, then switched to "saving your settings" and back to Welcome page. I could not get out of the Welcome screen.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I got the Welcome screen, when I clicked on one of user names it displayed "Loading your personal settings" for a second or two, then switched to "saving your settings" and back to Welcome page. I could not get out of the Welcome screen.

Was there an Administrator user?

No, there isn't any Administrator user

When you Safe Mode, there should be an Administrator user.......

No, there isn't any Administrator user

I forget what it is, but there is a key combination to bring up a dialog box where the user name and password can be entered, rather than choosing from a list.

When I am in the screen to reboot system in safe mode, after hitting F8 during power up, the screen shot:

------------------------------
Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
-------------------------

When I select "Safe Mode with Networking", the next screen is:

-------------------------
Please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Press ENTER to choose

Safe Mode with Networking

============================

"Use could always do a System Recovery using your Dell disk."

I tried but could not get to the screen that I could get the laptop to read the Dell disk, the disk is called: "For Reinstalling Dell Vostro 1000 Computer Software".

How do I do System Recovery using Dell disk ?

============================

With the Dell disk in the DVD reader, and reboot in safe mode, I got to the Window XP and it displayed Administrator as one of the users. What should I do now ? Click on Administrator ?

After click on Administrator, the screen displayed "Loading your personal settings" for about 1 second, then displayed "Saving your settings" and back to welcome page with 5 users including Administrator.

Using Dell™ PC Restore
NOTICE: Using Dell PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any programs or drivers installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using these options. Use PC Restore only if System Restore did not resolve your operating system problem.
NOTE: Dell PC Restore by Symantec may not be available in certain countries or on certain computers.

Use Dell PC Restore only as the last method to restore your operating system. These options restore your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.

To use PC Restore:

Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with http://www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press .

If you do not press in time, let the computer finish booting (starting), and then restart the computer again.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot.

Click Restore and click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6 to 10 minutes to complete.

When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

When prompted, click Yes.

The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

Click Next.

The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

After the computer restarts, click OK.

Beware, restoring using the Dell supplied disks will wipe out all of your data.

You should have received a "vanilla" copy of the OS, complete w/ the serial# on the box. Simply re-installing using that will give you the option to *not* format your existing data. You may have some drama re-registering the OS, however. Welcome to Windows!

I would take whatever measures I could, though, and yank the drive out of the pooched system and put it in a clean one where your data can be backed up.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Using Dell™ PC Restore
NOTICE: Using Dell PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any programs or drivers installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using these options. Use PC Restore only if System Restore did not resolve your operating system problem.
NOTE: Dell PC Restore by Symantec may not be available in certain countries or on certain computers.

Use Dell PC Restore only as the last method to restore your operating system. These options restore your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.

To use PC Restore:

Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with http://www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press .

If you do not press in time, let the computer finish booting (starting), and then restart the computer again.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot.

Click Restore and click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6 to 10 minutes to complete.

When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

When prompted, click Yes.

The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

Click Next.

The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

After the computer restarts, click OK.

I have beaten Antivirus 2009 with help from Overk1ll; Use Malwarebytes Antimalware and get rid of it for good.

Scan the heck out of it with every spyware & anti-virus possible to make sure it's gone... This is a sneaky one.

OVERK1LL is a good guy eh?

After click on Administrator, the screen displayed "Loading your personal settings" for about 1 second, then displayed "Saving your settings" and back to welcome page with 5 users including Administrator.

What if you try Command Prompt?

Guys, thank you for all your helps but so far I could not get anywhere pass the re-boot screen to get to working Window.

I must admit that I'm a total idiot in debugging these problems. some of you must feel frustrated in dealing with my problems, please accept my gratitude for your helps, also my apologize for being so dumb.

-------------

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

What if you try Command Prompt?

Do you mean Safe Mode with Command Prompt ?

When I selected Safe Mode with Command Prompt, the next screen was the same as with Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking or any option in the Windows Advanced Options Menu (after hit F8 while power up):

Please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

I could not go anywhere after hit Enter on this screen

----------------------------
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Using Dell™ PC Restore

I don't have the "Dell PC Restore" disc, what I have is "Drivers and Utilities For Reinstalling Dell Vostro 1000 Computer Software". Are they the same ? Or I need to get the "Dell PC Restore" disc from Dell ?

----------------------------

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Scan the heck out of it with every spyware & anti-virus possible to make sure it's gone... This is a sneaky one.

I could not get to a working window to be able to open a FireFox to do anything.

-----------------------------

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Beware, restoring using the Dell supplied disks will wipe out all of your data.

You should have received a "vanilla" copy of the OS, complete w/ the serial# on the box. Simply re-installing using that will give you the option to *not* format your existing data. You may have some drama re-registering the OS, however. Welcome to Windows!

I would take whatever measures I could, though, and yank the drive out of the pooched system and put it in a clean one where your data can be backed up.

What I have is "Operating System - Already Installed On Your Computer - Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2", is this the "vanilla" copy of the OS ?

Do I understand your idea correctly: Remove the Hard Drive from the failed laptop and install it in a good working laptop to backup the data of that Hard Drive ?

can you download and run SDfix or will it not let you into safe mode? if you can find the certain files that's causing problems you can use Avenger (search avenger.zip on google) to delete files before bootup. You can also get UBCD for Windows or UBCD to run pre OS virus and malware scans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back