Michelin LTX A/T 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a set of these last March, ran a couple of sets of BFG A/T TAs prior. These run a whole lot quieter and grip all surfaces (wet, sand, grass, mud) but ice just as well. Have a major reduction in balance weights on them. I have about 7.5k on them and rotated once at 5k with no probs.

Haven't seen many others running around and wonding if anybody else has experience.

I have used the BFG AT tires for years because they have the snowflake symbol. They have taken my truck through some really deep snows where I was pushing snow with the front bumper. I always see the Michelins at BJs Discount where I have purchased the ATs but never saw a reason to buy them. I grant that they are probably a very good tire but for the price, I never saw any advantage to them.

Thanks for the review. Have you noticed any increase in MPG with the Michelins? A "leading consumer magazine" test rated the A/T 2 to have the one of the lowest rolling resistances in AT tires (of those tested).

Funny you should mention the roll-resistance, a tech at Costco said same thing. I still figured that with the less aggressive tread pattern I would see some improvement in fuel mileage.

However, I do do not get any better or worse mpg, [censored] roll resistance or not. I do wonder...I drive the vehicle a little nicer w/new tires, so maybe my easy throttling is making up for any loss of mileage consumed from tire design. Still, ride great,look decent, and sound much better.

Michelin tires always seem to require less balance weight than other brands, due to much better build tolerances and quality- you certainly pay a premium price for their tires, but get a premium product in return.

Forgot to mention,

these tires catch rocks like crazy, it almost like the city should be paying me for the clean-up serviece. We I'm filling up I am constantly picking rocks out getting funny looks from others. Also, on the colder mornings I always do rock pick walk-around. I still like them though.

Both my Jeeps have the B.F.G KO AT's on in the winter, with steel rims ,and I like them for snow and wear.My TJ has the LTX AT's on in the summer.Great tire for wear and handling but they do catch rocks.My Cherokee uses the B.F.G Long Trails and I like them also for the summer.

Last edited:
I bought a set for my Dodge last year. Best truck tire I have ever used. No weights on two of the four. They ride and handle amazingly smooth, I only use the truck in the summer so I don't know how they are in the snow.

we run a fleet of GMC 3500 Savanas and only use the big Michelin LTX's. Either tread pattern is great and they last MUCH LONGER than any other tire in our heavy vans (9000+).

Michelins across the board seem expensive until you use them. I think they may only add to the old "you get what you pay for".

I was just looking at these tires at the Wallyworld web site and was stunned to find this under "Warranty" where it normally states 50,000 or 60,000 or whatever:

"No WalMart warranty miles"

Say whaaaaaa?

Anybody ever seen WM offer NO warranty on a tire?

I have a set on my chevy half ton. A very smooth riding tire that is well behaved on dry and wet surfaces. I have about 25k on them and are very quite. Looks like they will run another 30k easy. When I wear them out Ill buy another set.
Mark

Originally Posted By: MinivanMauler

Any tire retailer would be NUTS to warranty any tire installed on anything with a Ford twin-I beam suspension.

Just had the 2nd ROT. done(just over 10,000k now)and they still look new for the most part. Just keeping this thread alive...

ltx-at2.jpg

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: MinivanMauler

Any tire retailer would be NUTS to warranty any tire installed on anything with a Ford twin-I beam suspension.

I had a 1986 F250 with twin I-beam front suspension and never noticed any unusual tire wear. Didn't know twin I-beams were hard on tires.

The best thing about the LTX A/T2 is that some stores are closing out the original LTX line. I picked up a set of LTX M/S for my Expedition last year at a price not seen since Bibendum was just a little inner tube. When I asked why they were so cheap, I was told it was because of the A/T2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back