2005 STi Rotella@8100m LESS wear than M1@2600m

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm using the newer SM formulation of Rotella-T that comes in this bottle:
synth_cj4.jpg

Wow, very very nice! What grade(s) were you previously running? I've been thinking about Rotella T in my MS3, but have to get passed the 60k powertrain warranty first due to the high viscosity...

Edit: BTW, you should probably talk to Shell about a Superbowl commercial for next year, since the wear is obviously 4x lower with Rotella T...

Last edited:
Awesome oil report! What kind of mods do you have? Another great thing besides how robust RTS is, it looks like it really cut down on your oil consumption. From 1/2-1 quart every 3K miles to only a quart for 8K is a huge improvement!

I just started using RTS in my WRX and it's already telling me that it likes this oil way better than M1, lol.

Its a basic Stage 2 STi:

Helix coated and catless downpipe
SR*S 3-inch melon launcher exhaust
K&N Typhoon intake
Cobb Stage 2 beta reflash

The oil consumption is really great too. I used to keep a quart of M1 in the trunk because i tend to do some pretty long distance drives from Daytona to Tampa (basically from the east to west coast) pretty often. Now I just check it every time i'm in the garage!

Thanks for posting; I'm tempted to put this Rotella into my Passat when I next change the oil. I don't know what the exact starting viscosity of the Rotella is, but I can guess, and it seems to have held up pretty well, shear-wise.

Very nice! Especially with an 8k OCI on a Stage 2 STI in FL.

Notice that the first M1 uoa was getting close to a 20 grade after 3k miles, although that's not too surprising.

25.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

Peng - I appreciate that you shared this. I've been recommending Rotella T to the Legacy GT community for awhile, but without alot of 2.5 liter turbo subaru engine oil analyses to back-up my recommendation. I always felt this was a fantastic oil for this engine due to it's formulation and resistance to burn-off/fuel dilution in many other cars.

I can't believe this oil's TBN is still 5.0 after 8000 miles on a Stage 2 STI in florida though! Granted, you do alot of driving, but this isn't exactly a high mileage oil usually...

Joe

Good report.

I am tempted to try this oil my self, even though I had good results with GC in mu S4:

My UOA

Looks like oil sheared quite a bit from 15.5 to 12.9 viscosity

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic
SAE Viscosity Grade
5W-40
Viscosity
@ 40°C cSt ( D445)
100°C cSt (D445)
Viscosity Index (D2270)
Low temperature cranking viscosity
@ -30°C cP (ASTM D 5293)
Low temperature pumping viscosity
@ -35°C cP (ASTM D 4684)
Sulphated Ash % (ASTM D 874)
Neutralization No TBN-E (D2896)
Flash Point (COC) °C (ASTM D 92)
Pour Point °C (ASTM D 97)
How much is rotella per quart?

Last edited:
penngc - Did you actually feel a difference (engine response, turbo spool-up) going from 5W-30 to 5W-40?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
penngc - Did you actually feel a difference (engine response, turbo spool-up) going from 5W-30 to 5W-40?

-Dennis

Not really, I put in the 5w-40 because of the Florida heat. Granted its only Febuary, but with the OCI I run i'm getting ready for the summer.

The only thing I noticed was an immediate reduction in oil consumption. No change in turbo spool up or response.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hillclimber
Thanks for posting; I'm tempted to put this Rotella into my Passat when I next change the oil. I don't know what the exact starting viscosity of the Rotella is, but I can guess, and it seems to have held up pretty well, shear-wise.
I used the stuff in a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T, and it felt perfect.

Too bad I crashed the car before I could see if the engine held up on such an oil.

Originally Posted By: zoomzoom

How much is rotella per quart?

I went ahead and picked up a gallon at Wal-Mart tonight for $19.00. I think the price for single quarts was $5.77.

Great report pengc99!
cheers3.gif

I am also jumping on this bandwagon. Purchased RTS 5W40 for my WRX a month ago, going to put it in the next OCI.
As other threads have pointed out, RTS 5W40 in WRX =
01.gif

Seeing this made me highly interested in trying this. Then I found out that a gallon of this was only $5 more than a gallon of conventional Castrol GTX.

Now I'm running this oil. LOVE the add pack.

Hmm...for the experts out there, how do you think this oil would perform in a VQ35 motor? They seem to be notoriously harsh on oil and other than GC, I'm not really sure what to go with in hopes of running longish (~8K mostly all highway miles) OCI's.

I'd think GC would be fine for the the VQ35. I personally like Rotella in something that has a flat tappet cam, and of course diesels.

As for engines that are hard on oil, like yours, and like this turbocharged engine, GC 0W-30 OR RTS 5W-40 would both do fine, imo. GC will go 8k miles, but you might not want to push it farther than that, while RTS will technically last 12-15k miles or more. It depends on what viscosity your 'want' for your engine, or by doing a UOA with both and seeing which it likes better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back