Which is better?: Supreme with Techron or V-Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TedSexington
But supreme/premium grade is the only grade I use, so would chevron be better?

The fuel supply chain is so different from region to region that brands really are no more than licensing agreement. Even some of the "proprietary" additives are the same. Same chemicals dosed the same, it's just someone will have trademark name to describe it and some won't. Again depends on your local fuel suppliers.

That said, around here Chveron is the only fuel that I can tell IS different. Not from run quality, but from examining sparkplugs. It leaves a blue tint, all other leave a pinkish color. maybe it's just dye? but i have noticed it. Another brand here, Texaco, is claiming to use the same additive (trade name techron), or paying to use the name anyway. It's still pink.

In some regions there is a huge problem with reg being sold as prem. Investigations have shown it's not the stations but greedy mid suppliers. A friend of mine builds hp snowmobile motors out of the NY area. It's been such a problem there that he advises customers against high compression builds because the pump fuel cannot be reliably trusted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell
I use chevron, Shell and BP (all 93 octane) in my 95 bmw 525i with a performance chip. It requires at least 91 octane. In 3 years using this chip, I found that chevron 93 an bp 93 seem tp perform well. Seat of the pants dyno says shell does not do quite as well. I am lucky i have all three her in Lexington, KY.

What kind of performance chip are you running? What power gains does it yield?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Originally Posted By: Russell
I use chevron, Shell and BP (all 93 octane) in my 95 bmw 525i with a performance chip. It requires at least 91 octane. In 3 years using this chip, I found that chevron 93 an bp 93 seem tp perform well. Seat of the pants dyno says shell does not do quite as well. I am lucky i have all three her in Lexington, KY.

What kind of performance chip are you running? What power gains does it yield?

E.A.T. chip by Mark D-silvia. Not sure of spelling. Cost about $210. My power gains are in the low to mid rpm range. Estimated to be about 15-20 HP and similar torque. Made the car much easier to drive. smooth with no apparent loss in mileage. I have had the chip for about 3 years or so.

The chip and HID lighting have been very worthwhile.

Last edited:
V-Power additive is in all Shell grades the only difference with Premium Shell(V-Power) is that it has more additives than regular and mid-grade, if I am correct.

I remember from shell's website...87 adn 89 octane both have double the minimum stadard of detergency, and the V power 93 octane, has 5 times the amount.

"man you guys get great gas choices. only top tier in cincy is shell 93 v-power.

no chevron and no bp's w/ invigorate either."

Invigorate is in all three grades of BP gasoline. Check this link... http://www.bp.com/heliospower/extendedsectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9101&contentId=7045461 Mouse over "Experience Invigorate", at the bottom of the animation, and then click on "Learn how Invigorate cleans and protects".

There are also Chevron stations at 8063 US-42 in Florence, and at 2832 Verona Mudlick Rd in Verona. You've also got two Texaco stations, at 2392 Royal Dr. in Fort Mitchell and 195 Mary C. Grubbs Hwy. in Walton.

Cheers

Well, BP may not be distributing the "Invigorate" detergent package in Cincinnati market yet. It should be soon, if it hasn't already hit the market. My bad...

The four Chevron/Texaco stations are still a good bet for the Techron option, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back