Should I dump it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxlife 5w30 blend, Wix 51515 filter. 7200 miles 50/50 driving over 5 months, I quart of Pennzoil 5w30 make up oil added. This in in the ole trusty 93 Dodge Caravan 3L, 237k total.

Wanting to run this 10k but I'm starting to get the itch. May end up leaving the filter for another run, Still undecided on that though. So should I do a mid winter dump or not?

I would do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Changing it would make me feel comfortable if it was my car.

The logical thing would be to do whatever got you to 237K miles
cheers3.gif

Well this one belonged to my wife's grandmother and was left for her when she passed. She used Castrol 5 or 10w30 at exactly 3k if it was 3001 miles the engine was gonna explode any second. She took really good care of it, It's spotless under the valve covers.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Pull the plug.

I like the way you think.

A UOA would let you know for sure, but here's the rub; it costs more to do the UOA than to just change it ...

So, there's your answer; time for an O/FCI.

People like me occasionally do UOAs for the pursuit of knowledge and the joy of the BITOG experience. But the reality is that small sump, reasonable OCI durations support a dump and fill mentality long before you can rationalize cost of the UOA.

Unless you suspect some system failure (coolant, fuel, air filtraiton) that a UOA would confirm or deny, then just change the oil and run headlong into the 238k mark with glee!

Thanks,I'm gonna change it this weekend. Might run some Castrol EDGE and another wix filter, Haven't decided yet.

Since you wanted to run the oil for 10,000 miles and have your doubts change the oil and filter with the same kind and do a uoa to verify your thoughts about the oil.If the uoa shows the oil holding up then the next run can go the miles .That is the fun of a uoa.

IMHO, as long as you not doing a lot of short trips, I would be inclined to change the oil and filter every 7,500 mi with a good synthetic and a Wix (personal favorite). I don't feel good about 10k OCI's and my car has half the miles yours has.

Oil and filter change are cheap... Engines are not. My dad has the same engine and has over 300K on his because of regular maintenance.

I'd change the oil, you've gotten your money out of it and I really like MaxLife, but there's nothing about it being an extended OCI oil...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My dad has the same engine and has over 300K on his because of regular maintenance.

My 95 Caravan had somewhere around 275k when I sold it. This is my fourth caravan with the 3L, The engine will go the miles if you can control the oil leaks.

Originally Posted By: mitchcoyote
Always change the filter also..........

If I wanted to leave the filter for 15k I'd have no concerns doing it with a wix or any other premium filter for that matter.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The rocker cover gaskets are easy to replace... Get a new set and put them in...

It's a bad design...

Yeah, I changed mine when I got it. Got some slight front seal seepage though which maxlife has seemed to almost stop.

Might not be tight enough... These gaskets have to be tightened down then in about 20,000 miles have to be re-tightened. Check that the two bolts holding the rocker cover in place are tight enough, bet you they are a bit loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back