How to paint steel wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aftermarket Aluminum wheels are basically 100$ apiece. although they look nice, in fact they weigh just the same or even more than steel wheels in the
13" size. the selection of aluminum wheels in the 13" size is very little - there is only actually just TWO aluminum 13" wheels readily available. remember, although i paid 68$ apiece for steelies, and this seems like a lot, these are HYUNDAI ORIGINAL, with Hyundai stamped on them, they are NOT aftermarket.
I did also find a set of USED Colt wheels, and they were 40$ apiece, so 68$ for brand new is actually a fair price.
I just happen to be kind of a traditionalist person, and steel wheels are appealing to me, because I live in the salted road region, and steel is very durable here. Also, since I live in Canada, and buy my stuff from USA, black steelies are much easier to smuggle across the border than alloy wheels, the customs guy asks me about the steelies, and I just claim that I always have them in the back for extra weight and traction.

Last edited:
Although my project started out with Mitsubishi Colt wheels, I realized I could repaint some 15" steelies for my wife's Subaru, and run 15" tires instead of 16", and save some money on the rubber. I was able to get an excellent deal for 2 complete sets of 15" Subaru original steelies. As indicated above, the 205/65R15 size is excellent for the pot holed pavement we get up here: there is really no practical reason to run 55 series, except for looks, or if you're trying to post good numbers on a slalom course for a motoring magazine.

I agree about the spray can method. I bought a 14 in wheel from the boneyard for my '00 cavalier (still have to get the $ for tires
frown.gif
), washed it off, sanded, primed, and semigloss blacked it, and unlike the paint touchups on the body, you wouldn't be able to tell it was a junkyard wheel. :)

very lovely work, Ross, thanks for posting the pictures. my only upgrade is to move from 155/80 to 175/70 which will leave the diameter the same, and just slightly increase the weight. i'm really looking forward to working on the steelies for my wife's subaru. by going from 16" wheels to 15", i'll be saving money on the rubber, and the final weight will be similar to alloy 16". my order of duplicolor metalcast/anodized came in, i just need to wait for weather to warm up. nice trick to put the wheels on 2x4's so they can be rolled along as they are painted. the wheels i'm using are already in excellent condition, with hardly any rust at all.
The subaru 15" steelies were really cheap - most people want to just get rid of them, and run alloys, so when they are sold, they go for cheap. since i have 3 colts (yes, 3!!!) my job will take a bit longer. i plan on baking the paint, first at 225 degrees, then at 350 degrees. chips should be easy to repair, since i'm using just a stock color.

I've used the duplicolor "wheel paint" a few times. It's an unusual paint, that once understood, worked very well for me. It's a 7 day cure time, and cures HARD. The metallic must be sanded between coats, and it will show an unsteady hand. But, if you do your prep, light-sand before painting, and take your time, it works great. I've used in on wheels and body panels and diff covers... zero chipping, peeling, etc.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back