Toyota Diesel, 5k on M1TDT.. Lead 48?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Just got another UOA back from my recent Diesel swap into a Toyota 4runner. For the record this is a Toyota built turbodiesel engine called the 1KZ-TE.

Oil is M1 TDT, with approx 5k miles on it. The previous oil fill of TDT had a viscosity of 17.1 at 1500 miles, so I dumped it and refilled. Filter was not changed at that time.

This UOA comes back with a couple things I'm not happy with. One I can explain, the other I'm curious about.. so if you have any advice, please post.

Iron 13 (cam isn't in perfect shape, will be replacing soon)
Chrome 0
Nickel 0
Alum 2
Copper 0
Lead 48? This is the one I don't know about
Tin 0
Cadmium 0
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Silicon 9
Sodium 12
Potassium 1
Moly 10
Anti 0
Mang 0
Li 0
Boron 63
Mang 761
Ca 1516
Barium 0
Phos 1157
Zinc 1332
Fuel Soot 0.2%
Water 100°C Vis 14.1
TBN 7.93

I've been using PowerService Diesel Kleen and DFS throughout this oil's life.. do they add lead for any reason? Other than that I can't explain the lead.. I'll be double checking oil pressure soon just out of curiosity.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

doubtful disel kleen has this lead - if it not wear it seems that something is eating at the lead. change it and test again in 5k

would the lack of other wear metals suggest it isnt wear? or is the lead and iron enough?

So I have an update on this case. 5k miles on 7 quarts of Mobil1 TDT (CJ4)

Fe 10 (from 13)
Al 1 (from 2)
Pb 25 (from 48, still flagged though)
all other "wear" metals 0

Si 12 (from 9)
Na 2 (from 12)
K 0

fuel Soot .2%
water Vis 13.8
TBN 6.00

Overall I'm much happier than I was last change. I plan to go another 5k on a fresh fill of TDT and retest.. then make the determination of what to put into it. I don't like paying that much for oil that will only support 5k miles and think it may be more cost effective to go with a conventional oil.

Opinions, anyone?

For the additive freaks:
Mo 3
B 58
Mg 914
Ca 1400
P 1113
Zn 1387

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back