2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L vs 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
we just test drove 2 1.8ltr. '09s . The automatic and the 5 speed . Liked both . She had easy time with the clutch as well . Both rode quite well . We would only buy the 1.8 for the gas mileage and its dependability . We've had 2 PRIZMs ( '99 and '00 ) , a '99 Corolla , and '03 MATRIX with automatic . The '03 MATRIX w/ auto got about 33 m.p.g. overall . The 5 speed manual PRIZM averaged around 35 m.p.g.. Good Luck

The new 1.8L in the 2009 Corolla is not the same 1.8L that is in the 03-07 Corollas. It's an entirely different engine, even the oil filter is different.

The 2009 Matrix 2.4L scored 27 mpg overall in CR's test. CR obtained 36 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. That's pretty darn good.

As a comparison, the 2009 Corolla 1.8L scored 32 mpg overall, and the highway mileage was 40 mpg. But the Corolla is also a lighter vehicle.

Well I ended up getting the 1.8L Auto. Yeah its a slushbox, but I have been driving manual since I got my license and im tired. I still have a 5 speed cavalier anyway.

I drove it over a long steep bridge today and it held 68mph in 4th gear just fine, no cruise.

I wish I could have checked mpg on this road trip, but I have to take it back to the dealer empty tomorrow (they owe me my full tank) to finish paperwork.

So far the only thing I dont like is that the middle armrest is HARD!!! Whisky tango foxtrot

Last edited:
We had a 2005 Vibe. It had the 1.8l 4 speed A/T. Although it was the previous-gen engine, I hated that thing.

It was ok for an around town cruiser. But it had no power. Taking off from a stoplight took a lot of RPMs to go anywhere.

The 4 speed a/t wasn't that great for the 75+ mph interstates out west either. It returned sub-par mpg IMO. Around town mpg was pretty excellent though.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I rented one with the 1.8L auto. I thought it was doggy feeling with the engine constantly downshifting/revving to climb hills and pass....

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I also had a rental 1.8/auto, I don't think it was doggy as it would drop a gear or two at the slightest hill to keep the pep under my right foot...

Toyota's definitely have a reputation for having an aggressive cruise control. I've yet to drive one that let the mph slip more than 2.

Clark

FL-400 s , read owners manual about break in period for motor . Best to keep engine under 3 r.p.m.s' as much as possible for 500 miles or so . Also , drive different speeds for 500 miles ( may say more in your manual ) . Enjoy

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Well I ended up getting the 1.8L Auto. Yeah its a slushbox, but I have been driving manual since I got my license and im tired...

That's a good setup. My mom and dad have a 2008 Vibe w/ AT. It's a great car. I don't know that 'Yota has ever made a 4cyl, AT that was a neck snapper (any import for that matter). They are what they are. An economical and reliable as heck drivetrain. Domestic 4cyl autos seem to have more snap to them. Might be gearing or whatever. My Cobalt could acutally light up the tires if you hit it too hard.

Joel

I still havent had a good chance to check the mpg, but if I get higher than advertised, ill be a happy boy. Its only 300 lbs heavier than a corolla I believe/.

The 1.8l is underpowered for the Matrix/Vibe, unless you had the option of getting the 2ZZ (still a dog at low RPMs) in the 2003 up to around 2005.

I have an '05 Vibe with the 1.8L. I haven't had any issues with lack of power. If I need to get going faster, I just put the pedal down further.
wink.gif

Yeah it take more rmp's, so do all small 4 bangers. Once you get use to it, and know how to drive them, they're fine IMO.

Got 26 mpg on the first fill up , mostly in town. Got 31.7 on the second with mostly highway (70-75) and its not even broken in yet (1000 miles so far). Like I said it can keep the cruise at 68 going uphill. Massive power. Dual vvti. Its a screamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back