Here's the new comparison tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool a new one.....Let the flames begin....
27.gif

What is really interesting is most all the oils show great uoa numbers reguardless of the rankings on the tests and the best part is the cost per oil change!!! How many 25,000 mile oil change intervals with amsoil? Most Amsoil oil changes are done at dino oil intervals or less.[at least on this board]

The only graph that OCI affected was the one about cost. I just disregarded that one. Obviously a good oil, but I wish they'd done the 5W-30... If we're talking about cost, I'd like to see those data (the non-OCI related data) represented in a way that would take into account price-per-unit. That would be a better way to interpret value for those of us who would never dream of a 25K OCI.

A new comparison? Is that a retest using recent formulas of all the oils?

If so, I too wonder why ATM was used instead of newer releases like SSO and ASM.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
A new comparison? Is that a retest using recent formulas of all the oils?

If so, I too wonder why ATM was used instead of newer releases like SSO and ASM.

A 2006 report from Infineum had 10W-30 listed as the best selling motor oil grade. It could be different now, but in general, it would seem that many-a-consumer feel 0W-30 and 5W-30 is too thin for their automobiles.

CompSyn

When I first developed my oil OCD these types of tests with their tell tale graphs were all I had to get my fix. I imagine many out there who are in the early stages of oil ocd still look at these like I looked at VS flyers while I was in junior high.

I like these Amsoil tests.

They always use the 10w-30 in that test instead of the 5w-30.

Maybe it shows a little better because of the viscosity spread being closer?

Yes I like this type of brochure that Amsoil puts out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CompSyn
A 2006 report from Infineum had 10W-30 listed as the best selling motor oil grade. It could be different now, but in general, it would seem that many-a-consumer feel 0W-30 and 5W-30 is too thin for their automobiles.

CompSyn

Then either the buyers are atypical here, or Infineum may need to update their best seller status. Around here 5w-30 is definitely the best seller. I've seen 10w-30 bottles of various brands collecting dust on the shelves, but 5w-30 bottles are always fresh. 5w-20 is catching on too.

I assume we are referring to the US market.

Same here. Easily 5w-30 is the most stocked and sold oil here without question.

Now, 15 years ago I'd say the 10w-30 was the big seller.

Take care, Bill

Definitely would have been better to use a 5w30. 5w30 is on it's way out too. Maybe 10w30 is more popular globally?

5W-30, 10W-30 not much difference

The ATM and the ASL are same formula except for viscosity.

They are Amsoil' top selling oils.

I have two Ford truck owners (older guys) who will not use 5W-20, they both use the ATM 10W-30 and have for years, one over 15 yrs.

I have no doubt Amsoil ATM is an excellent engine oil, and its viscosity is perfectly usable in most gasoline engines.

Some of us simply wish to see Amsoil compare their newer SSO and ASM that also serve newer OEM recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back