Esso Ultra 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, just used up some Esso Extra Points. The oil is by far the best deal, as long as you stick to Esso-branded stuff.

What's the major difference between Esso Extra, and Esso Ultra PMCO? Anyone wanna chime in here? The only thing I could tell that I've only seen 5w-30 and 10w-30 for the Ultra, where-as the Extra is available in a consortium of flavours (20w-50, 5w-20, etc.)

http://www.esso.com/Canada-English/LCW/Products_Services/Automotive_Lubricants.asp

click on Ultra and Extra under Passenger Engine Oils at bottom of paragraph. PDG files with spec sheets pop up.

Ratings are GF-4 and both SM Except for 10-40 and 20-50 in the Extra, they are SL.

The Ultra has better add pack on literature, Ultra is called Superior and Extra is called Premium if that means anything.

I use 0-30 XD3 Esso CI-4/SL group 1V HDEO, it is gas rated and diesel rated, there are 50K oil analysis on this oil with great results in a 2.4 Toyota engine. If one looks around this 0-30 syn oil can be found for just over $5.00 litre.

I think the CJ-4/SM version might be out, I will stick to CI-4/SL for as long as I can get it, love the zinc/phospherous protection in my hard working QR25DE.

Hope the link works,
Cyprs

From the link above which I gave, go to the left of page and click on XD3 Extra Industrial Lubricants, the spec sheet will show XD3 syn 0-30 is now CJ-4/SM. Look at specs on this oil compared to your Extra or Ultra specs on link. You will see the great value.

Off topic a bit.
Man is the Zinc and phosphorus DOWN on the CJ-4/SM from the CI-4/SL, I have old analysis that showed numbers of 1600 ppm phosphorous on The CI-4/SL. The SM rating with low zinc will be easier on cats for gassers I guess. Any one know if I can still get XD3 CI-4/SL syn? If so I better stock up big time.

Cyprs

Meh. the difference between Extra and Ultra is only something like 90 points, no biggie. I only ever got Esso points in the last year filling up the buses.

(I have a Shell Triton commercial account for myself.)

If you look at the PDS, you will see that the Ultra has a higher TBN vs. the Extra. Beyond that, the specs are almost the same.

The Esso PCMO PDF's are from January 2005, so I don't know how accurate they are in realtion to what is sold today...

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
i actually remember when Exxon was called Esso... lol I wonder what year they changed it in the states?

Ya, I remember seeing Esso stations in New England when on a family vacation. From the ExxonMobil web site:

After the division of the Standard Oil Trust into different 'Baby Standards' in 1991, its European activities were carried on by Jersey Standard. This company originally operated under the name of Standard APC (American Petroleum Company), but from 1929 it sold oil products under the trade name of Esso, which is derived from the abbreviation of Standard Oil (S.O.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back