Car won't start....clicking sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
My mother's car will not start. It has an 18 mo. old Duralast battery and has never had any previous starting problems.

When I turn the key, it just gives a rapid clicking sound, not really mechanical but just electrical sounding. What could it be?

Once jumpstarted, it fires up perfectly. There was a little bit of corrosion on the terminals, so I cleaned them and it didn't change anything.

Originally Posted By: drewjp
Hey,
My mother's car will not start. It has an 18 mo. old Duralast battery and has never had any previous starting problems.

When I turn the key, it just gives a rapid clicking sound, not really mechanical but just electrical sounding. What could it be?

Once jumpstarted, it fires up perfectly. There was a little bit of corrosion on the terminals, so I cleaned them and it didn't change anything.

Battery is dead. If it doesn't charge after running for 30-60 min, then the battery is probably bad. Either way, you should have the battery tested. It should be under warranty.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
"Once jump-started, it fires up perfectly" means battery is toasted.

Indeed. DUH
33.gif

Make sure it gets fixed quick cause you can burn out the alternator in short order with a dead battery.

I agree, battery dead or bad connection. I do not recall older cars doing this with a dead or near dead battery. 2001 Odyssey does it. I was wondering if this is a change in circuitry or design? Seems older cars would grunt or try to start, not do the clicking thing. Is my memory going or is there something that is different?

This has happened since they invented electric start cars. There is enough voltage to close the starter solenoid, so it closes, but now the starter is in the picture, however it drains the voltage and the solenoid opens due to low voltage, now with the starter not in the picture, there is enough voltage to close the starter solenoid, thus the clicking sound.

Originally Posted By: John K
I agree, battery dead or bad connection. I do not recall older cars doing this with a dead or near dead battery. 2001 Odyssey does it. I was wondering if this is a change in circuitry or design? Seems older cars would grunt or try to start, not do the clicking thing. Is my memory going or is there something that is different?

They have gotten away from this on purpose because starting it when the battery is low on cranking amps, causes the starter to get hot and burn internal parts. The solenoid prevents this.

The extra current from a jump start could indicate a bad original battery, or it could be providing enough juice to overcome bad connections.
Clean
all cables - BOTH ends first.

Just got back from the 'Zone. Battery tested bad....got a new one free under warranty. Hopefully I'll be good to go tomorrow! Thanks!

What happens when the solenoid is clicking when you try to start is this:

1)Solenoid gets power, engages connection to starter.
2)Starter pulls large amount of current from battery.
3)Battery voltage drops below the level required to keep the solenoid engaged due to current draw from starter.
4)Solenoid disengages.
5)Battery voltage rises due to loss of load from starter.
6)Solenoid re-engages.
7)Battery voltage drops due to load from starer.
8)Solenoid disengages.
9)Battery voltage rises due to loss of load from starter.

And so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back