What do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone

Newbie here! I just wanted to get some opinions. I currently run Amsoil for engine and transmission in my Toyota Sienna and Camry but wonder what would be best for my Dodge. It's a Charger with a 6.1 and it calls for 0w40. To my knowledge Mobil and Royal Purple are the only producers of 0w40. I'm not a big fan of Mobil since they changed their formula and I don't know anything about Royal Purple. At my last service I put Amsoil 5w40 Euro in the engine, Severe gear in the rearend, Amsoil ATF in the power steering, and Amsoil in the tranny. My question: Is there anything better? Is using 5w40 instead of 0w40 hurting anything?

Either of the 5W-40's made by Amsoil are excellent choices, and no, using a 5W-40 vs. a 0W-40 won't hurt a thing...

If you look, there IS a UOA of a person with a Hemi Charger running Amsoil diesel 5W-40, and running it hard...results were good....

The only difference between a 5w-40 and a 0w-40 is how it works in extreme cold. However, cold pumping and flow were always strong points for Amsoil, so the difference should be negligible with their 5w-40 Euro. It's a great oil.

If you're looking for something better, all I can come up with is RLI BioSyn 5w-40.

Thanks for the input. I love Amsoil in my other cars but was hesitant using it in a car that is driven relatively hard. I think I stay the course for now.

Either oil will work, BUT, if you do drive the Charger hard, you may want to 'move up' to the Diesel 5W-40 - Pablo specifically recommended that oil for the Hemi Charger I mentioned in my first response...

Originally Posted By: markum
Hi everyone

Is using 5w40 instead of 0w40 hurting anything?

Not at all. The Amsoil is superior to the M-1 IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks again for all the tips and links! I think I might switch to the diesel stuff and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back