Jaguar S-type R oil question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a Jaguar S-type R model year 2003, with 65k on the clock. It is a supercharged 4.2 V8. The manual suggests to use 5w-30, Api SL, ILSAC GF-3 and Wss-M2C913-B spec'd conventional oil for 10k miles change interval.

I have been using Mobil1 5W-30 for the past 45k miles at an interval of 5k miles. As soon as I switched to M1 from GTX the car started to burn oil at a rate of about 1 quart per 5k miles. I never gave this much thought and chucked it off as an engine characteristic.

I want to try a new oil and am debating between PP, Syntec and Mobil 0w-30 Advanced Fuel Economy. The Syntec 0w-30 made in germany is not speced at all for fords should i consider it?
I will stick to the 30 weight due to the supercharger unless I hear otherwise. What do you guys suggest for this application? Also I am in the north east, so we see some low temps, especially recently ~15s for the past weeks everytime I get in the car.

Thanks for your time.

I'd vote for the Syntec 0w-30, AKA 'GC'. A very robust oil that is well-suited to high-performance applications. Its athicker 3-weight, at 12.1 cst, so it may also help with consumption.

Any of the three oils will work GREAT.

My lincoln has a smaller 3.9L Jaguar V8 in it(same family AJ-V8). I have used the German Syntec before with very good results. I am now useing redline, but I will be changing brands shortly(getting harder to get).

Personally, I am going to give the new Castrol Edge a try. Then pending how I like it I will either stick to it, or go with the tried and true Pennzoil Platnium.

Again any of the oils will work great. I would try the German Castrol since it is a bit thicker for your forced induction.

VERY NICE car by the way!!!

tomciob,

Using one quart of oil over 5000 miles should not be considered problematical, especially since you're changing at that interval anyway. And since you're running a synthetic you could even toss in another quart and run another 2500 miles, unless you drive the car less than 7500 miles per year.

As for GC Syntec, why use an oil not spec'ed for your engine when there are plenty of good examples around that are?

Cheers, and WELCOME!
Mark

I would use the Mobil 1 0/30 AFE.

I have the normally aspirated version of the 4.2 V8 in my wife's Xj8. The recommendation for the supercharged engine does not sound different from the normally aspirated engine, hers allows for 0/30; 5/30; 5/40; or 0/40 with 5/30 recommended at 10K intervals.

Now that it is out of warranty and on my dime, it will get annual oil changes with Mobil 1 0/30. I would do the same if it was the blown version - would not influence my decision. Hers has been getting semi annual oil changes with 5/30; Castrol GTX when the dealer does it, and Havoline Synthetic 5/30 when I do it between dealer changes.

Not sure about burning a quart in 5K, that does not sound like a lot, but OTOH, our 4.2 does not consume any measurable quantity of oil, but it only has 22K total on it since new.

Thank you for the replies. My question with the GC was wether it meets the ford specs without them actually being written on the bottle. Can someone tell me if the Mobil AFE is the same base oil as Mobil Syn 5w-30 that i have been using until now? Is it higher grade or what?

Originally Posted By: tomciob
Thank you for the replies. My question with the GC was wether it meets the ford specs without them actually being written on the bottle. Can someone tell me if the Mobil AFE is the same base oil as Mobil Syn 5w-30 that i have been using until now? Is it higher grade or what?

Only Mobil 1 formulators would know the answer to that question.

AFAICT however, general concensus here seems to be Mobil 1 0W-30 has a higher ratio of PAO base stock as compared to their 5W-30 viscosity. This is readily apparent when comparing PDS of both products.

BTW, I've ran Mobil 1 0W-30 in my 3.0L Duratec V-6 for the past two years. Excellent oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back