Wheels, not Rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is petty and technical, but I will say it anyway lol. The metal circle inside of your tire is a "wheel," not a "rim." The "rim" is the outer edge of the wheel. It sets my teeth on edge when people are talking about wheels and they call them "rims." Ok, just had to say that I will shut up now.

"The metal circle inside your tire" makes me take a deep breath.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: caveatipse
The metal circle inside of your tire is a "wheel," not a "rim." The "rim" is the outer edge of the wheel.

And if that's true, then what do you call a wheel with a tire mounted on it (wheel+tire)?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The metal circle inside of your tire is a "wheel," not a "rim." The "rim" is the outer edge of the wheel.

And if that's true, then what do you call a wheel with a tire mounted on it (wheel+tire)?

You call it a tire-wheel mount. Words mean things, you know. They are not "rims." The "rims" are the outer edges of the wheels.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I call it "wheel and tire" or "mounted tire"

If a "wheel" is a "rim" then what part of the "rim" is the rim, hub, and spoke?

the companies that make and sell "rims" call them "wheels"

Originally Posted By: tom slick
If a "wheel" is a "rim" then what part of the "rim" is the rim, hub, and spoke?

A wheel consists of, from inside to outside, of hub (on, for example, bike or cart wheel), hub /wheel mounting pad (on a modern car), spokes or disc (latter may be bowl-shaped), and rim. Since modern wheels are frequently made out of one piece, the rim is simply the outermost part of the wheel, with the typical modern wheel having a tire bead rim.

Oh, boy! Oh boy! Oh, boy!

The old "Rim / Wheel" argument. I love these!!

Here's more fuel for the fire:

No argument that the rubber part is called the tire - although many folks will think the metal parts are also included in that: For example - the tire was flat, so I took the tire off the car.

In service, the tire is always attached to a hoop that is called the rim.

The rim might be an integral part of something we call a wheel - or it might be pieces assembled together that we might call a wheel, or it might be a separate piece.

The rim might be attached to a wheel or to a hub.

The wheel might be attached to the hub - or there might not be a "wheel" at all!

So for simplicity, I hope everyone will cut everyone else some slack. There really are a lot of variations.

Last edited:
Not so. Where did you get that a "rim" "might be pieces assembled together that we might call a wheel?" The English word "rim" has a quite simple and specific dictionary meaning. The "rim" is the outer edge of the wheel, not the entire wheel. That is like saying that "a piece of bread" really means "the entire sandwich."

- Hey man, what did you have for lunch?

- I had a roast beef piece of bread.

- What? What the [censored] is that?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Motor or engine...........????? I don't sweat it. I say engine....

Traditionally, motors are powerd by electricity and magnetic repulsion, engines convert reciprocating motion to rotational ie: steam engine

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Weapon or gun?

Weapon is discriptive of a broad group including guns, sword,
nuclear, 'Gun" is discriptive of a particular type of weapon

You call it a tire-wheel mount.

So there is no single word term to describe a tire+wheel combo?

When I switch to a winter setup, I'm supposed to say that I'm going to put on my winter tire-wheel mounts?

another pointless thread, moderator, please delete:

Rim is an old-fashioned term that was used when referring to wagon wheel - thus the term "wheel rim." It means the outer-most edge of the wagon wheel where there was a steel band the surrounded the wooden spokes. The dictionary defines a rim as:

1. The usually curved or circular border or edge of an object.
2. The circular outer part of a wheel, furthest from the axle.
3. A circular metal structure around which a wheel tire is fitted.

for bicycles, there is a rim, spokes, hub, bearings and axle.
for cars, that big round metal thing that you put ur tire on can be called a rim, a wheel, or even a wheel rim. most usually they are called wheel, because in a car you can do a wheelie, but you cannot do a rimmee - so to me that pretty well settles it.

now moderator, please kindly delete this thread.

Nonsense. The wheel cannot be called a rim. That is just silly. English words have meaning. The word "rim" does not mean "wheel." Period. You are wrong. And no, there is not a single English word to describe a tire-wheel mount. Sorry, but it does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back