Subaru Tribeca 30K service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, first post here. Thank you for a great auto forum, I've being a "lurker" for quite a while now.

My question is in regard to Subaru maintenance. 2007 Tribeca factory manual calls for these services to be done at 30K: coolant flush, spark plugs change, brake system flush. It does not call for transmission/differential service, just the inspection.

I've being maintaining my cars to the point where my 3-series have not seing the inside of a dealer service bay for over 160K now. So being biased by that relatively low-maintenance car I cant help but wonder if changing plugs (NGK iridiums -- 100K on BMW) or coolant (4 years on BMW) is warranted so soon. Also the tranny/diffs flush is something I intend to do regardless of what the manual says, I just don't trust the automatic to give me enough feedback on the state of the lubricant, like the manual trannies do. Am I in the wrong to question the schedule? Anybody (Subie owners or not) care to comment?

Last edited:
A lot of manufacturers now claim to be using "lifetime" tranny fluids, meaning that when your tranny dies at 100k miles, the fluid has served the lifetime of the tranny.
LOL.gif

Does your Subaru recommend tranny fluid change at some higher interval or not at all?

As for the other items, I'd probably go ahead an change them. I personally feel that BMW's recommendation of 100K miles on plugs, 4 years on coolant, and lifetime tranny fluid coincided with their introduction of free maintenance (read: no maintenance). These intervals were shorter before.

By the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Last edited:
Agree with QP, change those fluids and filters, it's like money in the ----- (safe).
Does that Subie have a spin-on ATF filter?

I hear you on the lifetime fluids Pete and agree 100%. The Tribeca's manual calls for ATF change only under towing condition, other that it is "lifetime" (of the transmission).

The spark plugs on a BMW looked great when I've pulled them at 75K, being the conservative type. From the appearance they had another 75K in them easily... So I wonder what is it about SUbaru 3.0 H6 that requires the plug change at 30K...

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

Yes, but you have to get the front bumper off to get at it
frown.gif
. It is behind the driver side fender. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a spin-on filter, if you ask me. I'll leave the ATF filter change till 60K, i think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: texan
So I wonder what is it about SUbaru 3.0 H6 that requires the plug change at 30K...

Maybe they use different type of plugs. The BMW ones are NGK Platinum which technically were designed to last longer. Maybe you could put similar type (but proper heat range of course) of plugs in the Tribecca and not have to replace them as often.

I've looked up iridium and it appears that it is supposed to be the state of the art electrode technology today (platinum being the king of the hill before that). These Subaru OE plugs go for 16 bucks at the dealer (12 on inet). At that price they better last more than 30K :).

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

Yes, but you have to get the front bumper off to get at it
frown.gif
. It is behind the driver side fender.

I would bet the subie experts have found a way to circumvent that clusterflub. Geez!

I've looked up iridium and it appears that it is supposed to be the state of the art electrode technology today (platinum being the king of the hill before that). These Subaru OE plugs go for 16 bucks at the dealer (12 on inet). At that price they better last more than 30K :).

Mine had 54k on them and were completely gone...I replaced with autolite platinums and new wire (Belkin).

I will be changing to OE wires and NGKs as soon as I get home again...the car has under 50k on those plugs and it is running very rough because of them.

The subarus eat plugs...the only thing I can imagine is that they have a smoking hot spark.

seems like the consensus is to change plugs per factory reccomendations. Good enough for me.

Next question: ATF drain and replace. There is per-manual method (via the drain plug) and then there is the cooler line method (disconnect the cooler line and let the tranny pump the fluid out). Something tells me the latter would pump more oil out vs just letting it drain out. Anybody care to comment?

My subbie 2.2 ate plugs. Even platinums, they'd open the gap an additional .006" easily over 30k miles. Plugs were always clean and pretty but needed regapping.

There was never a bad wrench angle in both subbies I owned. That surprises me re: the ATF filter.

M

Update!

K9KVg0I4GK4pqNB6n2rmYg

Here are the Tribeca plugs after 30K. Anyone care to comment on extending the interval to, say, 60K?

Another observation. I've done the ATF change as well. The old fluid was somewhat darker in color (brownish red) than the replacement (bright red). The manual recommended draining and refilling and that is simply bogus. It only drains 3-odd quarts from the pan, whiile the stated capacity is over 10. SO I did the disconnect the cooler line trick. Worked great, coupled with the remote starter.

Last edited:
I thought that Subaru came with standard spark plugs and only the Turbos came with iridiums. The ATF service recommendation is based on the inspection of the fluid and not a mileage interval.

The coolant is changed every 30k (or every other year) more for making sure the "Conditioner" is added to prevent leaks I'm finding out.

My Subaru is two years old this month with 21k and I'll be changing the ATF filter, Doing a drain of the ATF and refill along with coolant change with conditioner.

I'll wait a year for the plugs (and around 30k)

Bill

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I thought that Subaru came with standard spark plugs and only the Turbos came with iridiums. The ATF service recommendation is based on the inspection of the fluid and not a mileage interval.

True. The procedure for changing the fluid per service manual is drain and replace, which is totally inadequate, as only a third of the fluid gets flushed that way.

I was surprised to find the iridiums as well. What is your take on condition of the iridiums after 30K?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The coolant is changed every 30k (or every other year) more for making sure the "Conditioner" is added to prevent leaks I'm finding out.

I recall somebody telling me that the way Subaru casts the blocks (open deck?) may cause coolant leaks -- hence the conditioner requirement. It is dissapointing on some level as I am totally opposed to putting anything other than coolant into the radiator and none of my other cars ever required anything of the sort.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I recall somebody telling me that the way Subaru casts the blocks (open deck?) may cause coolant leaks -- hence the conditioner requirement. It is dissapointing on some level as I am totally opposed to putting anything other than coolant into the radiator and none of my other cars ever required anything of the sort.
First of all
welcome2.gif

If you look at my postings here, for the whole time I've been here I am in the same mindset. Just change the oil with what is recommended and you'll be fine. And I do just that have have no problems making 200k and beyond on engines.

So when I find out that you have to add this and that I'm freaking out. To me, stop leak is a bad thing.
frown.gif

But I guess that Subaru's conditioner is a very *mild* stop leak that does not do anything to the heater core or radiator.

I sure hope that is correct...

Originally Posted By: alanu
I've been informed that conditioner/stop leak is added at the manufacturing plant.
Without question. My 2007 has had 3 bottles in 21k miles..
smirk2.gif

Still waiting on results. Next Friday the car goes in and they have it for about a week...
45.gif

Bill

Changed to NGK Iridium IX plugs in our Outback about 60,000kms ago still great. Would put same in the BMW if there was an equivalent plug available. All lubes changed to Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back