lead removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
the first thing i would like to post as a new member is that this site is excellent!

i fix all kinds of things for a living, and the knowledge base here is very informative. it is refreshing to read all of the posts and to discover that there is none of the usual ranting, raving, ignorance and stupidity i usually encounter when searching for information.

i thank all of you.

now to my post.

i have tried probably every gun fouling cleaner on the market during around 50 years of shooting. at this stage of life i enjoy shooting my modified glock 35 using hand loaded cast lead bullets. like my mauser too, shooting ww2 ammo...

180gr swc, 4.5gr bulleseye, 1040fps, 6 shots into 5 inch circle @100 yards, pretty good day for me.....but....

then i get home after liberating 3 or 4 hundred 40's and have to clean out the lead... it has never mattered what i used to clean the kkm or stock barrel. i have always had to take dental picks to finish the job...want the barrel clean....finally after an hour or so, it is.

wandering around the net trying to get the lead out, again, i came across this combination.

50% white vinegar...50% hydrogen peroxide. get both at the grocery store along with dinner.

hey, i'll give it a try. plug the barrel, pour the goop in, go home, back to shop half hour later....!!!!! all kinds of black froth emanating..dump it out and refill...home, shop again, dump it out, force a couple of patches thru barrel...!!!!!

i was astounded, the barrel looked like the day i received it, absolutly no lead fouling could be seen.

there is not even a second place in the market place for removing lead deposits from a barrel.

and i have tried them all.

there was an indication where i found this information that it could attack blued steel, after all it does seem to be an acid.

before using on my stainless barrel i left some stainless steel in the solution overnight and saw no damage in the morning.

so i attacked my mauser with it, since the ww2 ammo is jackted, corrosive, and the bullet has lead exposed at the base.

pounded a golf tee into the muzzle and carefully poured the solution into the barrel, not wanting to wet anything else...home, shop, frothing black stuff...lead sulfate?...

first time ever, after 5000 rounds, i was able to get clean patches thru my mauser...

WOW!!!!!

don't know if this is allowable, but if you want excellent service, fair priceing, and speedy delivery of bullets, go to

http://www.thebulletworks.net/AboutUs.asp

i don't work for them....ordered 2000 bullets on 1-26-09, delivered 1-29-09...and the bullet quality is excellent.

dcn

Despite me thinking this post is spam, that sounds like an excellent solution.

I would actually rinse out the barrel with plenty of water afterward. Then, give it a thorough oil flush with something cheap like WD40 or CLP.

While the mixture is quite an old formula, it does indeed work well. And like the man said, keep it away from the finish unless it's stainless, and then minimize the exposure. If you're worried about your finish, smear the parts with Vaseline or plain old grease to protect them.
thumbsup2.gif

As for the cast bullet link, that lead formula makes bullets that are way to hard. The bullet base wont swell like it's supposed to when the powder ignites.
39.gif

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I avoid barrel leading nearly all together by using gas checks.

I avoid it by using plated and jacketed bullets .

Before you get too exited about this peroxide/vinegar mix in standard steel barrels , degrease some steel wool and a single bullet ( the chemical reaction requires bare lead ) and observe the reaction in a clear container .

Maybe the chemists here on the board could explain further what is really happening here , but the steel is being attacked in a pretty serious way .

really just do it , 50/50 peroxide ( 3% ) and white vinegar .

Pretty cool to watch , 10 Min. will tell you all you need to know ...

Originally Posted By: CITYSLICKER
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I avoid barrel leading nearly all together by using gas checks.

I avoid it by using plated and jacketed bullets .

I should have added "when I shoot cast bullets"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back