Bikes direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them or how good their bikes are. They have very good prices...almost too good.
54.gif

I would buy a bike from them.. They should be fine....I think the prices are more than fair.

If not your credit card will save you........
27.gif

I bought my Motobecane from "sprtymama" or close to that name. This was on Ebay in about 2006.

A friend of mine ordered a Motobecane mountain bike off there, you get quality components for those prices. You do have to do some assembly though. I would probably get a bike from Bikes Direct if I decide to buy a new bike. The good prices are that way because they buy in bulk and store it at a warehouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I had to go through all the adjustments. Even had to change the height of the front derailleur.

I just went to Park tools website and all the info is on the site.

I have no experience with the retailer but their prices seem really good. For what it’s worth, I see a few MOTOBECANE bikes around. No experience with them but they seem like solid bikes.

Bikesdirect sells good bikes, with some basic assembly and adjustments required once you receive the bike. The downside? From all the reviews I've read online, their customer service is non-existent.

As far as the Motobecane brand bikes are concerned, I've owned a Motobecane Le Champion since 2007. I have put a little over 4k miles on it, with no problems. I didn't buy mine from bikesdirect, though; I got mine from the same ebay seller as oilboy123. I got my bike for about $100 less than what bikesdirect was selling it for.

Here's a picture of mine:
MyroadBike3.jpg

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Bikesdirect sells good bikes, with some basic assembly and adjustments required once you receive the bike. The downside? From all the reviews I've read online, their customer service is non-existent.

As far as the Motobecane brand bikes are concerned, I've owned a Motobecane Le Champion since 2007. I have put a little over 4k miles on it, with no problems. I didn't buy mine from bikesdirect, though; I got mine from the same ebay seller as oilboy123. I got my bike for about $100 less than what bikesdirect was selling it for.

FWIW, it looks like your bike is too small for you. a qualified shop would have sized you correctly.
that is where the savings is on mail order bikes; they don't have to employ techs or qualified salespeople. they just sell bikes in boxes. but a bike that is a 'good deal' is more than components. FIT is the MOST important thing.
but whatever works for you. most people are riding the wrong size bike anyway.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
The bike pictured is not too small for me. It may be a little too large, as a matter of fact.

when I see that amount of seatpost showing, (esp w/ a brooks, which is so much taller itself than a regular saddle) and the seat that much higher than the bars, I would say it's too small. but, you're right, I can't say for certain w/o seeing you on it.
most experienced techs will tell you most people are riding the wrong size bike.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
most experienced techs will tell you most people are riding the wrong size bike.

Statistically, you yourself are also riding the wrong size bike. Also, statistically, most people's legs are too short.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman

Statistically, you yourself are also riding the wrong size bike. Also, statistically, most people's legs are too short.
LOL.gif

I am related to Fred Flintstone. I am blessed with Fred Flintstone legs, so + 1 on that...........5'8" with 30" inseam. Yabba Dabba Doooooooo!

The bike I bought is similar to wavinwayne's bike. Mine is a Motobecane Grand Record. I have an old Mtn bike that I got going in the Fall.

[SNIP]

I think you bring up an excellent point here. About ten or so years ago I was determined to purchase a new road bike that I could have for the rest of my life, so I went to R & E Cycles at the north end of the University District in Seattle. The salesperson (who was also a "technician") measured me out and said I would do fine with a stock frame, et cetera. I would have gladly paid them for a custom frame if I needed one because they hand-build their own bikes (Rodriguez), even their "stock" frames of which I am a proud owner of.

And it is SWEET. Nothing like a bike that fits.

I have a friend in San Diego that was looking for a bike. We looked at REI and I thought he should have bought one of there bikes. He ended up buying a Gary fisher bike from a shop in Downtown near where he lives.

They looked like nice bikes for a fair retail store price.

FWIW, it looks like your bike is too small for you. a qualified shop would have sized you correctly.
that is where the savings is on mail order bikes; they don't have to employ techs or qualified salespeople. they just sell bikes in boxes. but a bike that is a 'good deal' is more than components. FIT is the MOST important thing.
but whatever works for you. most people are riding the wrong size bike anyway.

Shops don't always have qualified techs either.

I've seen my shop have a guy stand over a bike, if his nuts don't touch he fits. My first bike a trek 2200 was a size 58. I was so stretched out on it, I couldn't hardly ride 40 miles at a time.

I bought my last bike from bikes direct. Size 56 and fits fine. I also got the Le Champion. Paid $1099 for it in 06. Added some custom wheels (under 1500 grams) for $400 a CF seat tube (as the stock was too short) and the pedals, and a new bottom bracket (the stock one was junk) Now have $1600 in a bike that weighs about 16lbs and rides just fine.

Go to a bike shop and find a full ultegra bike with a custom wheel set for under $2300 or so and you would be getting a good deal.

I will second a bikesdirect bike. If you know what you are looking for and dont' mind fixing a couple little things yourself you can save a ton of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back