Wynn's Friction Proofing Engine Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wynn's recently launched a new oil treatment product called Wynn's Friction Proofing. This new product is a synthetic formula that is designed to reduce friction and wear, as well increase engine cleanliness and improve fuel economy. It is aimed towards high-performance vehicles and a data sheet can be found here. I found out about the product from this press release.

Has anyone used this stuff? It appears to be a direct competitor to BG's MOA. I wonder if it's worth a try.

Wynn's makes this "engine honey" stuff that is supposed to stop vehicles with substantial oil burning issues. A buddy of mine used it in his Prelude.

Reminds me of Lucas..... A lot of hype for some stop-gap junk for when a car is in that period between obviously succumbing to completely failure and ending up in the wrecking yard....

I've had a lot of good results with Wynns Australia...they are VERY not like lucas.

Was commissioning a hydraulic press that had ingested large quantities of sea water in shipping. Wynns provided a vacuum and bentonite treatment system, which got the oil and salts out of the oil Then they sent the oil away for analysis, and re-additised it.

At work, we use their ISO320 gear oil, which is re-refined/additised, as a cheaper than brandname oil in gearboxes exposed to coal and ash.

Their street additives about 10 years ago (when last I checked) were basically zinc and stuff, to dose up the engine oil some.

OK. I've only ever had some indirect experience with their "Engine in a Can" and the "Engine Honey" that I mentioned. I was unaware that they produced other, more "mainstream" products.

God I need to proof-read, that last bit of my 1st post is atrocious....

"The history of the original Friction Proofing began in 1939. Chestien Wynn, a retired attorney interested in chemistry, created a product called "Wynn's Friction Proofing." Unlike traditional lubricants, Wynn's original Friction Proofing changed the chemistry of metal, making it softer and better able to withstand wear"

Wouldn't softer metal wear faster? What exactly are they using to make the metal 'softer'?

Probably a friction modifier to form a sort of "soap" on the surface I guess.

white metal bearings are purposely made soft to ensure that particles get embedded in the surface to avoid circulating and wearing.

Overkill...I've only ever used a Wynn's automotive product twice...once their fuel system cleaner, and once their friction modifier for an engine that I really knew deep down was stuffed.

I don't think that their automotive products are much more than an answer waiting for a question.

This is very interesting. I used to use a LOT of the 'original' FP formula - came in a purple bottle. Was really cheap, and I used to add it all the time to my 1985 Buick Skyhawk.

I read on these forums that that stuff was, according to the MSDS, 83% Kero, which just thinned out the oil. Engine in my car ran fine for years, even after I got rid of it (used to see it around town) so it obviously didn't do any harm.

I think Wynn's is an OK company; they have some good service equipment/chemicals for services, so I'd like to find out more about this product.....

Looks like this is a 'professional' product - won't be able to buy off the shelf, only as a part of some over-priced service 'package'........

Quote:
Wynn's Friction Proofing." Unlike traditional lubricants, Wynn's original Friction Proofing changed the chemistry of metal, making it softer and better able to withstand wear"

Sounds like Chlorinated Paraffin.

Quote:
...Unlike traditional lubricants, Wynn's original Friction Proofing changed the chemistry of metal, making it softer and better able to withstand wear"

This is totally false. You don't change the chemistry of metal and make it softer without heat treatment. Advertising hype for non-chemists. A lawyer doesn't create anything; he hires a chemist.
LOL.gif

Wynn's Friction Proofing is nothing new; it is (or was) a bio-ester with some zddp and mineral oil.

I would use something like a fully formulated PCMO like RLI and get your bio-ester from it.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Does no one read what Bob - yes Bob of BITOG - has to say about additives??? Everyone keeps laughing at me because I keep pointing out that the manufacturers of these things are making fools of the public, and making a profit out of whole cloth, and people keep saying that no, you Scoobie are the fool.
I direct you to read ... drum roll... the BITOG writeup about oil additives. The LAWS of a corporation, yes, the LAW, says they are
responsible ONLY TO THE SHAREHOLDER AND THE CEO, the corporation has NO RESPOSIBILITY to the consumer - they are required by law, to make as much profit AS POSSIBLE, for the benefit of the shareholder and the CEO. Supposedly there is some "invisible hand of the marketplace" that makes sure that the consumer gets a good product, but in reality what happens is the consumer gets his wallet emptied, until someone sues the manufacturer for false advertising, and by then the money has "disappeared" to the Cayman Islands. Which is also why they keep a full staff of lawyers.

I remember many many years ago I found an unopened can of Wynn's Friction Proofing Engine Treatment in my Dad's old garage. I had no idea how old it was and I got rid of it. I didn't think Wynn's Friction Proofing Engine Treatment was even still around. It brings back memories. I never saw my Dad use the stuff. He did use STP Oil Treatment from time to time. I would have asked my Dad about the stuff but my Dad was no longer around.

Of course the new stuff they have is no doubt very different than the old stuff.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
...Unlike traditional lubricants, Wynn's original Friction Proofing changed the chemistry of metal, making it softer and better able to withstand wear"

This is totally false. You don't change the chemistry of metal and make it softer without heat treatment. Advertising hype for non-chemists. A lawyer doesn't create anything; he hires a chemist.
LOL.gif

Wynn's Friction Proofing is nothing new; it is (or was) a bio-ester with some zddp and mineral oil.

I would use something like a fully formulated PCMO like RLI and get your bio-ester from it.
cool.gif

Good info. I was taking their "softer" as possibly the easy slip provided by chlor films. Their "changed the chemistry of metal" could be ferric chloride films, but ZDDP would be the same as per their wide open definition.
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back