Castrol Edge 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.castroledge.com.au/product/product_0w40.php

Quote:
Now meets ACEA C2/C3 specs and is recommended for turbo diesel cars, LCVs and 4WDs, especially those fitted with diesel particulate filters

Approved for VW: 502 00, 503 01, 505 00 MB: 229.31, 229.51, BMW: LL04, Porsche approved-all Porsche vehicles except cayenne (V6)
Passes M111FE fuel economy test
Meets: SAE 0W-40, API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, C2/C3

http://www.castroledge.com.au/downloads/EDGE_Sport_0W40_463741_200808.pdf

Quote:
Unique controlled phosphorus and low chlorine additive technology contribute to sustained
catalyst performance and oxygen sensor life.

Been around for years here Down Under. Another competitor to M1 0W40 but a fair whack cheaper too. Full PAO from what I hear too.

Yeah this is a European grade but it would be nice to see this offered here in the states as an alternative to M1 0w40.

I like the website they have for that oil, and I agree, the sepcs on the 0W-40 are pretty impressive...the 10w-60 looks pretty good too!

Originally Posted By: buster
Yeah this is a European grade but it would be nice to see this offered here in the states as an alternative to M1 0w40.

And used in VW dealerships!

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Probably not in the US.

Found some 5W30 and 10W30 at OReillys and Pep boys.

Right, but I meant the 0w-40 which was discussed here.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You can buy the Castrol 10w-60 stuff at BMW dealerships, at least in the US.

Quick note: According to Castrol's UK website, there is an Edge 10w-60 and an Edge Sport 10w-60, and they have different characteristics.

The Edge 10w-60 is the BMW M approved oil, so when you buy from the BMW dealership, that's what you'll get (unless they give you some of the old TWS 10w-60).

The Edge Sport 10w-60 is different, and it is not BMW M approved. Probably still good stuff, though.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Straight from Castrol tech line, why would they lie? They were very upfront, unlike Mobil who obfuscate at every opportunity.

I've seen a lab report a few years back concluding that it was group III. Then again, that lab was Fuchs, so it's not exactly objective.

But again, I think we're getting too hung up on groups these days. Does it really matter as long as the oil is doing its job?

Last edited:
It matters if I'm paying a premium for it.

Lots of oils do their job. I'm not going to overpay for a product that has been reduced in technology/capability/performance for my application. Reason #147 why I no longer use Mobil motor oils.

That really changes things, in that in Australia it is well priced for a PAO if that is the case......many users on the Commodore scene are using it at 5000k intervals !

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
.many users on the Commodore scene are using it at 5000k intervals !

Whoa! That's quite an interval. Has anyone done a UOA?
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back