Garden hose to flush out oil? Is this a hoax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
whistle.gif

No way that's legit. Dude was messin' with them or something. Even my wife (blonde, and a fairly typical blonde at times) wouldn't do that.

IIRC there's a YouTube video showing someone doing the exact same thing to a tired Civic or Jeep or both, the thing(s) actually ran for a little while...

You could probably "rinse out" an engine with a garden hose, as long as all the water was subsequently drained out, and the car was not running during any part of the process. I can't imagine any serious harm coming from it.

Jetski's get submerged sometimes, with water in the engine.

The standard advice I've seen given is: pull the plugs and crank it over until no more water comes out. Then do whatever it takes to get it started (starting fluid, etc). Then run it hard for at least a half hour before turning it off. Its got to get hot enough to get all the moisture burned off from the inside of the block before anything can rust.

If they drain the water then let it sits a while, the bearings will rust and its doomed.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
You could probably "rinse out" an engine with a garden hose, as long as all the water was subsequently drained out, and the car was not running during any part of the process. I can't imagine any serious harm coming from it.

Problem is he had it idling. I think they finally determined it had to be real a couple pages later.

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
the bearings will rust

Iron bearings?
54.gif
LOL.gif

Steel bearings can't rust?
wink.gif

Soree, bout that careles mustake. So far; at leest, I havunt ofended thu gramur puleece tu...! I will trie more harder to post akuratley inn da futur.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Not the bearings, but the journal surface. Bearings are copper/lead with a steel backing.

I know, but RWEST's comment made me wonder if he thought all steel was stainless.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Soree, bout that careles mustake. So far; at leest, I havunt ofended thu gramur puleece tu...! I will trie more harder to post akuratley inn da futur.
grin2.gif

blush.gif
Kidding!! I was just kidding!! This IS the humor area, after all.
blush.gif

mori - Steel bearings? I've never seen a steel bearing.
54.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST

blush.gif
Kidding!! I was just kidding!! This IS the humor area, after all.
blush.gif

I know, I was kidding two
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back