Walmart Goodyear Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart carries these in 235/75/15 for $65 a tire. I had them print me up a quote. It only shows balancing and valve stems as extra. I asked about tire disposal and anything else for hidden charges. She responded that those were already included in the tire price.

My question for those that have purchased tires from Walmart before, is this correct? Or will I get a surprise when I buy them, as far as tire disposal fee, etc...

Second question, who is using these tires now and what are you impression of them. Mostly concerned with ride quality, I have no issues with poor tread life as I need to save penny's right now.

penny wise, pound foolish???

Can you get reviews on the tire rack? Mos tires have hundreds...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
penny wise, pound foolish???

Can you get reviews on the tire rack? Mos tires have hundreds...

Not for this tire, nor another one I'm considering.

Not being foolish, hence my question. I've seen people spend gobs of money on tires and be foolish over it. So trying to get the best value is prudent and not foolish.

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
Walmart carries these in 235/75/15 for $65 a tire. I had them print me up a quote. It only shows balancing and valve stems as extra. I asked about tire disposal and anything else for hidden charges. She responded that those were already included in the tire price.

My question for those that have purchased tires from Walmart before, is this correct? Or will I get a surprise when I buy them, as far as tire disposal fee, etc...

Second question, who is using these tires now and what are you impression of them. Mostly concerned with ride quality, I have no issues with poor tread life as I need to save penny's right now.

I haven't used them but you probably won't have to worry about poor tread life as they have a 50,000 mile warranty, which isn't bad.

I have no issues with poor tread life as I need to save penny's right now.

So trying to get the best value is prudent and not foolish.

Agreed. However the desire to give up treadlife to save a few bucks may come back to bite you. Having to replace two sets of $50 tires in 60k vs. one set of $80 tires, when you tack on all the fees, disposal charges, etc. may not save you anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have no issues with poor tread life as I need to save penny's right now.

So trying to get the best value is prudent and not foolish.

Agreed. However the desire to give up treadlife to save a few bucks may come back to bite you. Having to replace two sets of $50 tires in 60k vs. one set of $80 tires, when you tack on all the fees, disposal charges, etc. may not save you anything.

Yes, it will. If I get 30k out of them. Then it is money saved. Won't have to worry about another set for two years, get 45k and make that 3 years. If I spend more money in two or three years it is a non issue to me. I am not sure if you are aware of the economic situation right now. I am not in a recession proof job. It would be irresponsible of me right now to spend money I don't have on a product that is nothing more then an appeasing name as opposed to a functional item that will last appropriately to its cost.

Had a set of Goodyear wranglers, will NOT make that mistake again. They were horrible traction wise, but if all you care about is treadlife, then buy them.

I don't feel they are money well spent, if anything, they nearly cost me 2 vehicles....yes, I was desperate enough to put them on 2 separate trucks. Both trucks became slippery slicks in any kind of slightest bit of water.

Check out a set of Firestone Destination A/T tires, MUCH better over the Goodyear wranglers.

Make sure you get a warranty with those.

I understand your possible job situation, we've gone through the same thing in the past, and are in the uncertainty of it now too...I still would NOT buy the Goodyear tires again.

However...note I live in an area where traction is very critical in all seasons...you may not have this issue.

FWIW however, when I replaced my [censored] Goodyears with an excellent set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, I only paid $100 more and they lasted twice as long.

Last edited:
I do not care about treadlife. I only care about ride quality. Traction is not an issue, I get 7 inches of rain per year. Or it rains here about every other month.

If you bring in tires for installation, then you'll pay installation, disposal, balance and valve stems. If you buy tires from them, then you don't pay installation and disposal but you'll pay sale tax.

If WM carries General Grabber HTS for a little more money, it would be better choice.

It depends to which Goodyear Wrangler type you are referring; is it an HT, ST, SR-A, SilentArmor or etc.?

There are 13 Wrangler series tires listed on the Goodyear web site. They range from Mud tires( MT ), to all terrains( AT ), to all seasons( AS ). None of those come up at Wal-Mart for $65. What comes up is a Goodyear Wrangler Radial. This one here...

0069766201189_500X500.jpg

There is very little ifo on this tire available even from Goodyear themselves. That is Red Flag #1 with me.
shocked2.gif
A few online discount tire places show it but they have very little info as well( Red Flag #2
shocked2.gif
). Goodyear doesn't even show it in their list of Truck/SUV tires with all the other Wrangler series tires on their web site. Red Flad #3.
shocked2.gif

You actually have to do a search to come up with any info on them at the Goodyear site( yet another Red Flag - not good having all the Red Flags
crazy2.gif
). They don't give much info even then. I find it odd they don't give a tread depth measurement and I really took notice when I saw they they don't provide the UTQG rating for the tire on the Goodyear site. I would say these are some really cheap discount tires made for places like Wal-Mart to sell to people as CHEAP junk tires that will last a year or get you through an inspection. ONly reason I would buy them. It should also be noted this tire is only available in the P235/75R-15 tire size.

Here is what info I could find on them...

UTQG = 300 A B( this is NOT good - see below )
Service Description = 105S
Max Load = 2,028 @ 35
Mileage = 40,000( Wal-Mart claims 50K but the other places I found all said 40K - 40K matches up more realistically with the tire spec's )

* NOTE - That 300 treadwear rating on this tire is pretty low. You don't see a lot of tires for trcuks & suv's that are in the 200 range for treadwear. 300 is pretty bad. That means to me that they are not going to last long at all. You may not get that 2 years you are after but if you do I wager you won't get much more if any. Maybe 25-30K at best if you keep them rotated and properly inflated. I am assuming these will be used on a small truck or some type of SUV? They wear tires quicker than cars generally do so keeep that in mind. Oh, and the A in the UTQG is for traction. Only AA is better. The B is for heat resistance and is the middle rating a tire can get. So those are ok but that 300 treadwear rating is NOT good

Your 50 to 60K truck & suv tires, that actually last that long, are going to have tread ratings in the UTQG spec in the MINIMUM 460-500+ range. Many run to the 600-700 range. Even a 40K tire should have at least a 380-420 UTQG treadwear rating if you expect to get that many miles out of it. Here is a good example. I had some Goodyear Wrangler ST's on a Chevy Silverado. The UTQG on those for treadwear was 340. They were bald by 25K with proper care. Another infamous tire for lousy treadwear from Goodyear( actually they all pretty much have this issue - GY's are horrible tires in general )is the Wrangler HP's. They also have a 340 UTQG treadwear rating and they are infmaous for wearing out by 15-20K. So higher rated tires that wear out really fast. Something for you to consider as these tires only carry a 300 rating for treadwear.

The actual tread pattern on those tires doesn't look half bad if you had some winter driving to do. Not an issue for you in AZ I know but it is about all they have going for them IMO. Kind of an all season/all terrain hybrid that is called an all purpose tread( APT ). I have run some APT tires before and those hybrid treads do ok in bad weather. In AZ though a regular AS would be all you should need unless you off road. You will get longer tread life and better MPG with an AS vs an APT or an AT.

Just got to say that while $65 is cheap so is that tire. I wouldn't run those on my vehicle. I would wager if they were sold on Tirerack you would see 90%+ bad reviews, Mainly centering on premature treadwear. Hey, they could go 100K for you who knows?
21.gif
Based on the data however I wouldn't do it. Not even to try and save money.

I understand your comments about wanting to be fiscally responsible BUT think of your safety( cheap tires are constructed CHEAP so I would be concerned with blow outs from a thin sidewall )and also I agree with the other poster that said you will spend more on 2 sets of these tires over 60K( I am being generous in how long I think 2 sets would last _ maybe 40K is more realistic for both )than you would 1 set of decent tires. Spend $80 and buy a good tire and your are all set for at least 40-50K( on paper anyway ). It shouldn't all be about about saving pennies today. Think about a year down the road when you have to do it again. Those tires are just not going to last so you are not saving anything by buying them "IF" you actually can afford to get a better tire but are just chosing not to.

Why spend $65 for a tire you might get 20-25K from when for just $15 more p/tire you can be assured of at least 40K if you get a good tire? Almost double the tread wear and service life for just a fraction of the cost more? I don't get it( with all due respect ).

Ultimately it is your call as you are paying for them and going to drive the vehicle they are on. I personally would not buy those tires. As I said, in my experience, Goodyear tires are some of the worst on the road. They wear out really fast( even the top of the line ones ). You are looking at some really cheap ones they made for places like Wal-Mart to sell as a discount tire. Does not bode well based on GY's reputation for poor wear. They might last 10K and be great( most do )but I would bet you around that point they will suddenly start going bald very raidly. They always seem to.

Good luck if you do it.

Last edited:
I have purchased several sets of tires from Walmart and their over the phone quotes are generally accurate and all-inclusive. I have no reason to believe your quote is any different. My son has used OEM Wranglers on his Dodge Durango and there were no issues, although he prefers Cooper highway tires compared to the Wranglers.

Good bonus is you can generally find a Walmart wherever you are if you have a flat or other tire repair issue, 7 days per week. That convenience has come in handy for me more than once on my weekend trips.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Here is a good example. I had some Goodyear Wrangler ST's on a Chevy Silverado. The UTQG on those for treadwear was 340. They were bald by 25K with proper care.

This is a good example of the saying "Your mileage may vary".

Dad's 2000 Sierra came from the factory with same exact tires on it, Wrangler ST's. They were still on it at 40,000 miles, and the only reason we took them off was an Illinois winter was coming, and were going to have to come off within 6 months anyway. They weren't even down to the wear bars yet.

This truck as used as a truck, and pulled a 25' travel trailer when these tires were on the truck. These tires weren't babied.

For $65 each, I'd go for it.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Here is a good example. I had some Goodyear Wrangler ST's on a Chevy Silverado. The UTQG on those for treadwear was 340. They were bald by 25K with proper care.

This is a good example of the saying "Your mileage may vary".

Dad's 2000 Sierra came from the factory with same exact tires on it, Wrangler ST's. They were still on it at 40,000 miles, and the only reason we took them off was an Illinois winter was coming, and were going to have to come off within 6 months anyway. They weren't even down to the wear bars yet.

This truck as used as a truck, and pulled a 25' travel trailer when these tires were on the truck. These tires weren't babied.

For $65 each, I'd go for it.

That's a very common size. You can get the Avon or Kumho from tirerack for $68-72, and they are rated very good. Granted, you will still have to pay shipping and mounting. However, in the end, it will be $100 (more) well spent vs. the Goodyears from Wallmart. If moeny is really tight, check craigslist or ebay for some new take-offs. That is/was a very common size.

This is an old tire design. They were OEM on Jeep's in the 80's and 90's. I don't know what Walmart's supply agreement is with Goodyear. Next time I'm in a store I'll have a look at the date and factory code to see where they're made.

In any case, I'm sure they'll be fine for your needs. Won't be much different than any other tire at a comparable price. I say go for it.

Check that treadlife warranty. See if its valid at any Goodyear retailer or only at Walmart. Might be an issue if you need to make a warranty claim.

Hi, i put a set of these on my ford ranger . The ride is good, traction in snow is better than the cooper weathermasters that i had on before. And hands down better than the goodyear rt/s tires that came on the truck new.

I called my local (trusted - were I purchased my Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors) tire store here in Omaha and they have the same tire on special for $65 each also. The manager said that they are matching Wally World's price and that the tire is very good! I would not hesitate to buy them, put your mind at rest. Here the price includes free mounting, nitrogen fills and tire rotations for the life of the tires.

Link: http://www.jensentire.com/NewSpecials.html

GO for IT!!!!

Originally Posted By: coolhunting

I called my local (trusted - were I purchased my Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors) tire store here in Omaha and they have the same tire on special for $65 each also. The manager said that they are matching Wally World's price and that the tire is very good! I would not hesitate to buy them, put your mind at rest. Here the price includes free mounting, nitrogen fills and tire rotations for the life of the tires.

Link: http://www.jensentire.com/NewSpecials.html

GO for IT!!!!

Thank you. I asked the lady behind the counter if they get any complaints or returns on this tire and she said they have been lucky, and that particular tire has not had any complaints she knows of.

For some reason all the photos on the internet of this tire have the wrong tire pictured. You can go to E-bay and find some of the people selling this tire have very good photos of the actual tread.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
This is an old tire design. They were OEM on Jeep's in the 80's and 90's. I don't know what Walmart's supply agreement is with Goodyear. Next time I'm in a store I'll have a look at the date and factory code to see where they're made.

From what I have gathered in internet searching is, this is a discontinued tire. Since, Walmart only carries these in one size and has a supply greater then what would have been available when they were discontinued - I am speculating the supply agreement they have is just for the one size, which is why they are so cheap. Goodyear's tooling for the tire is already paid for and when they make them, they can do an extended run all on one size. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Tire is marked "Made in Usa"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back