See through tires- These are cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see snow/ice building up in them and causing significant balance issues during the winter months.

Even a little mud or dirt built up might cause balance issues at interstate speeds unless the design compensates for balance problems.

You'll be seeing the Tweel and similar airless tire designs on slow moving construction vehicles and military vehicles long before they will became available for passenger cars.

theyre too expensive right now and ride quite rough. I dont think it will become a reality on modern cars.

Supposed to be real stiff turning in but soft absorbing bumps, kind of a best of both worlds scenario. They could put a sidewall on like they do for winter wiper blades to keep stuff out.

When I read the title, I was expecting to see tires made of 'clear rubber', like the QS syn oil bottles (although they are plastic...)...that would have been cool....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqRJ9GfIJtI

Good heavens, Bib really exists!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
When I read the title, I was expecting to see tires made of 'clear rubber', like the QS syn oil bottles (although they are plastic...)...that would have been cool....

so did i...

I read an article that through sophisticated French engineering, these tires are actually filled with 78% nitrogen.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
New idea ?? .......

I think NOT ....
35.gif

Those appear to be solid rubber with holes in them.

The Tweel appears to be a combination of rubber and polyurethane spokes. Apparently a Segway concept ATV featured a prototype Tweel from Michelin.

The Tweel concept isn't much different than the Adidas a3 athletic shoe sole. They use polyurethane members sandwiched between the tread and body, rather than something like foam, gel, or air bladders.

pADIDAS1-3950859_pattern_w345a.jpg

Originally Posted By: Shannow
They'd have sidewalls on them for sure if produced.

I would imagine sidewalls would help when it comes to air resistance. However - I could see how leaving the interior matrix open could help beyond just the cool factor.

It would be easier to inspect the interior for any failure of a spoke. It might help with cooling of the tread. Sealing it might affect the dynamic structure.

If the spoke section is durable enough, I could see where one could have a semi-permanent wheel and an attached tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back