Space saver spares that aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloke on the radio yesterday was talking to his motoring guru, and said that he didn't like space saver spares, primarily due to the speed restrictions that they carry.

Stated (not the model of car), that he'd been to a tyre place, and asked if he had any alternatives.

They jacked it up, took a wheel off, and it fitted in the well of the space-saver.

He ordered a rim and tyre on the spot.

I can see how a designer would ensure that the tyre taken off would fit the space of the spare (in case of travelling with full luggage).

Yeah, I put a full size spare in the trunk of my old cavalier, right where the "donut" should be. The spare tire cover is lifted off the floor about an inch, but it actually provides a nice way to hold stuff between it and the sides of the trunk.
Yeah, the reasoning is that you can then fit the regular (flat) tire in the space you took the donut from..
Plenty of room for a full size in the Vic. Have a donut now but going to buy a wheel and mount a cheap 215/65R16 on it for a year round spare. Have to have something close to the other tires when I install a trac-lok or tru-trac in the rear diff.

mainly they're lighter. i haven't had to use a spare for many years, so there is a lot of fuel saved by not carrying around a heavy wheel/tire fore all those years.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
The spare tire cover is lifted off the floor about an inch

My Audi came with a donut. However, a full size spare fits in the well without raising the trunk liner, if one removes the three rubber spacers (little "bricks") that are stuck at the bottom of the well.

Found an old (SJ? rated) quart of oil in the donut well of a saturn I bought. Makes a good place to stash tools, jumper cables and other useful emergency supplies without messing up the trunk.

Have heard the ford cobra donut is even more lightweight, (on a mag wheel etc) and bolts up to more mundane fords... people seek them out for this.

the cobra isnt that lightwieght, its just a 17" spare to clear the 13" PBR front brakes. the 2000 Cobra R used a 1998 Cobra wheel for a spare as the specific spoke design of that wheel cleared the 13" brembo front brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back