Mobil Delvac 15w40 OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can this oil run 5k miles ? and why does this oil look kinda dark then regular oil like ( pennzoil dino look kinda clear ), or its because it made for diesel truck. reason I ask because I was helping my neightbor change his truck oil, 1998 chevy truck 5.7L vortec. thanks

Oil Colour in use is not a good indicator of how it is doing unless it starts to get gooey thick & black that's the only time.

This is a very stout oil and should be able to go 7-8K miles easy, depends on your driving habits, engine.

Maybe do a UOA to see how far you can push it.

cheers3.gif

I dont know much about how he drive his truck, but all i know he wake up at the same time I wake up in the morning 7:00am to go to work, and he get off around 5:00pm, he work pretty far away, I dont think he drive his truck hard at all. at the end he is an old man. I would tell him stay at 5k miles. btw is this oil consider dino oil ? or synth blend ? thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
killagt - Rest assured that the Delvac range of commercial lubricants has an excellent reputation going back many decades

It the Delvac lubricant the "1300" version?

Last edited:
i would use regular oil...a 5.7 isnt a diesel...might get better mileage too...but the delvac can easily go 7k i imagine

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
killagt - Rest assured that the Delvac range of commercial lubricants has an excellent reputation going back many decades

It the Delvac lubricant the "1300" version?

I think its, we pick up 2 jug at chinamart for $11,99 each.

Hi,
killagt - If it is API rated as CJ-4/SL (example) it will be oK if the viscosity is suitable for your use. These are excellent lubricants when used in the correct environment

They will usiuaaly well exceed a PCMO's OCI

Last edited:
I am using Delvac 1300 in my MB 2.5L OM602 and I plan on a 5k mile OCI. I'm debating going to Delvac 1 but am not sure if the added cost is warranted since I am concerned about soot levels and extended OCI's. This MB is my first diesel so I am having to come up a steep learning curve since my experience has been limited to gasoline engines only.

I've been using Delvac 1300 in my '02 Dodge Ram.4.7 engine.I currently have 123K and no problems with wear.Gas mileage has stayed the same too,no difference when I switched from 10w30.

I use it in our 99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0,and will probably use it in the "new" Jeep Liberty we bought last week.

IMHO,it's excellent oil.

Yup; Local WM had Delvac 15W-40 for $10.00per Gal. Bought 4 gallons... Also noticed they dropped the RTS-5W-40 to $15.00per Gal-->Great Price. If I didn't have a stock pile of Delvac, I would have bought enough RTS for 2 oil changes.

I'm planning to run a 5000 mile OCI in my 2.5L turbo MB with Delvac 1300. I am thinking this should be OK since the manual says to do so. However, one of my independent manuals says 2500 miles should be the norm for a turbo diesel. I've got 3000 miles on this change so far, I think it should be fine, do you?

Heck yes it can run 5000 miles it can probly run 10,000 miles. In fact in a gasoline engine with a slightly over sized filter you could probably make it 15,000 miles on this oil! In commercial diesels it is not uncommon to see Delvac 1300 go well beyond 40,000 miles with just daily top ups to make up for consumption!

Yes, but isn't that with new diesels and not older examples like my MB? Isn't there a difference in what OCI I would use for an older MB engine compared to a newer MB engine (diesel that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back