Worst Tires Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle ia a 2003 Honda Odyssey.Tire size is 225/60 16.Had a blowout(not a flat tire)Nov.27,2008. Had a second blowout Dec. 25,2008 Both at 55mph with 4 and 5 passengers respectively. The tires were inflated properly and had only 16676 miles in less than 2 yrs.Both were front tires. First blowout was left front.Second was right front. The offending tire is a made in CHINA TOYO SPECTRUM P225/60 16 They shuddered and shook the van and then smoked and came apart as we came to a stop.I'm 52 years old, and I think I got my first set of defective tires. Who should I contact?What is my next step? THANKS.

Originally Posted By: junebug
Vehicle ia a 2003 Honda Odyssey.Tire size is 225/60 16.Had a blowout(not a flat tire)Nov.27,2008. Had a second blowout Dec. 25,2008 Both at 55mph with 4 and 5 passengers respectively. The tires were inflated properly and had only 16676 miles in less than 2 yrs.Both were front tires. First blowout was left front.Second was right front. The offending tire is a made in CHINA TOYO SPECTRUM P225/60 16 They shuddered and shook the van and then smoked and came apart as we came to a stop.I'm 52 years old, and I think I got my first set of defective tires. Who should I contact?What is my next step? THANKS.

The answer is simple - get a different brand/set of tires and go from there.

IMHO age and things like that have nothing to do with it and if you think a particular brand/batch/makes of tires are of suspicion, easy! talk to the tire shop who sold you those tires, pro-rate them and then get the money to buy a different brand/makes/set of tires and then go from there.

Q.

If the tires were still under Toyo's treadlife warranty, you might have a claim. You will need the defective tire and your original receipt. Contact Toyo and ask what to do to submit a claim. You might have to ship the tire(s) directly to Toyo for their analysis. They will likely be the ones who determine if an adjustment is warranted.

Similar thing happened to me with a set of Kumho's. Bought them from Tire Rack and had to jump thru several hoops but I did end up getting a full refund from them.

If you think it is a safety issue and the tires need to be investigated you contact the NHTSA. They track these complaints and if they get enough on a certain product they start an engineering analysis. If the analysis finds evidence of a manufacturing defect they mandate to the manufacturer they must recall the product.

Lightning can strike twice...

Toyo tires are actually decent tires that come out of China. They are a major name brand that has years of reputation (as opposed to such off brands as Prime Well and Goodride). Not saying they are perfect, there may have been a defective lot.

I am running Toyo Spectrum 195/60R15 on my Kia and they have almost exactly the same mileage, about 16,500. I'll come find you if I have the same scenario!
whistle.gif

Both my parents cars have Toyo Proxes 4's on them. They are a good tire. All 8 all made in Japan. The new Proxes 4's and most other Toyo tires are made in China now. So I won't be buying Toyo's any more.

I see your Toyos and I raise you a Dunlop SP Sport 4000 A/S as used OEM on a Toyota Sienna. HORRENDOUS tires.

And we had a pair of Toyo Spectrums on a old Cressida ages ago. They dry rotted faster than Michelins. But me and a friend were able to get the car sideways in the rain.
banana2.gif

I recently had been quoted $400 for 4 195/70/14 Spectrums with disposal, balance, etc. Just the tires 'cause that's all the shop does. Another dealer can do Firestone's FR380 $320 for four including alignment, and such.
01.gif

So I will probably go to the above dealer and see what they offer for Bridgestones out of curiosity. Otherwise, I'll probably go with the Fierstones.

Bridgestone and Michelin, the only two tire brands I use on my personal cars. Never had a problem, or blowout, with either.

Tires in general you DO get what you pay for. Sometimes you can find bargain tires that work well, but for the most part the cheaper tires are noisier, wear out faster, and are more prone to failure (blowout or slipped belt).

Tire Rack website customer tire ratings are a great place to start looking.

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
I recently had been quoted $400 for 4 195/70/14 Spectrums with disposal, balance, etc. Just the tires 'cause that's all the shop does. Another dealer can do Firestone's FR380 $320 for four including alignment, and such.
01.gif

So I will probably go to the above dealer and see what they offer for Bridgestones out of curiosity. Otherwise, I'll probably go with the Fierstones.

The Firestone FR380 is such a worthless cheap tire, I'm not sure why people even buy them... They're not robust, no sidewall to speak of. There's so many more better choices out there.

The only tires I ever had problems with were the OEM Generals on my 92 and 96 Lumina Apv vans. Broken belts and chunks of tread breaking off of the tires.

i was thinking back to my 1974 chev pu, it had uniroyal tires, you could spit on the road and the tires would let loose.

guess what was stamped on the side wall? "the rain" tire! wasnt sure if that was a warning or sales slogan !

I only do Costco, Big O or America's Tire, and only Michelin or Goodyear.

We had an old 83 Cressida that was the beater and I was able to get a set of 4 Michelin X Radial DTs out the door for $280 at Costco.

For me anything with goodyear on it. Three cars in the past new came with Goodyear and all three were [censored]...I changed them within a year or so to Michelins and it was a world of difference in the handling and ride...smooooooth

My worst tires ever was a Cooper tire I put on my 2003 Nissan Sentra Spec-V. I had the car 2 weeks and blew out one of the factory Continentals on a pothole. Size was odd for 2003 so I got the Cooper from Adirondack Tire (local chain - http://www.adirondacktire.com/ ) as a stop-gap measure. I think I put less than 14,000 miles on it and while the factory Continental on the driver side had half its tread left, the Cooper was nearly bare. Absolute junk I will never buy again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back