'09 4.0 V6 Tacoma Calls for 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Picked up my new '09 4.0 Taco today. The oil cap clearly states 5w-30. I checked the Owners manual and it states 5w-30 for the 4.0 and 5w-20 for the 4cyl. I thought I read somewhere there was a TSB that said the 4.0 can run 5w-20. But if that's true... then why doesn't my new '09 say anything about it? And I even pulled up the TSB's on a 2008 4.0 Taco on Alldata and nothing came up about oil.

As of right now I don't see any reason to not run 5w-30. ??

Last edited:
Nice truck and 5w-30 is excellent oil.

Just remember the 5k or 6 month OCI until you get to 5 years or 60k miles since it is Toyota's motor till then.

Let us know what type of MPG you get after break in.

Bill

I could of sworn I read about a 5w-20 TSB. Guess not... Plan on doing the first change at 1k with 5-30 Dino Pennzoil and a Napa gold. Then doing it at 4k later at the 5k mark. and then every 5k from there out... 10, 15 etc. Plan on switching to PP 5-30 at 10k. Want to break it in good, and save some money right now.

Run 5w30 and don't worry about it( thats what my engine had for the first 20k. I am severe testing some 5w20 in this engine with some heavy high speed (80 mph)towing over long distance and large hill climbs mixed in.. I will post the uoa when the run is complete. As it stand now I plan to continue 5w20 as a winter oil and 5w30 or maybe a 0w30 as a summer oil.
My personal opinion is that with Toyotas the ILSAC rating and starburst is all you need to be aware of. 0w20-10w30 so long as it has the starburst.

Enjoy your new truck, it is a great all around utility and travel vehicle.

PS there is a TSB that includes the GR series. As I stated run starburst and you plan sounds good. Mine started life on a steady diet of Tropartic 5w30.

Last edited:
I'm sure 5W-30 will be fine.

I really don't understand all the fuss over 20 weight oil, except in extrememly cold climates. So if your funny farm is located in Yellowknife, then I'd use the thinner oil.

nope, down here in shaddy FL. I'm not towing.. just commuting that's why I brought it up, and I swore I read somewhere that someone said there was a 5-20 oil TSB out. But I pulled the TSB's for a '08 on Alldata and nothing came up.

GF-4TSIB.jpg

Bryan- The only problem is that's for '06-'07. I have an '09. So even though I could probably run 5-20 and be fine, if something were to happen, I'd have no documentation to back me up. Can we get a 2008-2009 Update of that document? maybe I should ask my dealer. B/c when I was pulling TSB's... 2009 is unlisted, 2008 had nothing, 2007 had the TSB you posted. Wondering why it wasn't issued for '08.

Last edited:
for your first two or three OCI's 5w30 is going to be just as good. this engine is built tight and it takes a bit of time for it to loosen up. In the meantime you can research what is up.. Smae motor. But as I have already state the hot operating viscosities of a 5w20 is not far enough from that of a 5w30 to be of a concern, it is the warmup phase that the 20 wt is less thick. I understand the documentation concern. I am able to run my performance test with 5w20 just becasue of this document.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4runner
I could of sworn I read about a 5w-20 TSB. Guess not... Plan on doing the first change at 1k with 5-30 Dino Pennzoil and a Napa gold. Then doing it at 4k later at the 5k mark. and then every 5k from there out... 10, 15 etc. Plan on switching to PP 5-30 at 10k. Want to break it in good, and save some money right now.

You sound like a good candidate for the Pennzoil 10 year warrantee; if you are willing to shorten your intervals to 4K, 4 months.

http://www.pennzoil.com/warranty/warranty.html

Nothing oil related should go wrong with your Toyota, especially with a 4K OCI, but the 10 year warrantee would be a nice piece of mind and reselling feature.

Running GC in my 06 tacoma 4.0l from 20k miles now have 45k with 5000 mile oci. Ran 3000 mile oci up to the 20K mile int.
Change air filter every 12k with paper fram. they can take a bit to break in and rings run in and can have fuel dilute issue. btw using napa gold 1348 filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back