Aimco Rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read past posts about Chinese rotors and the consensus seemed to be that, for a daily driver + good braking habits, cheap rotors are not necessarily a bad thing.

I need to do a brake job this spring, so it is either Aimcos at about $20 ea, or Raybestos for $70 ea.

Cost-wise, the $50 I would save per wheel would go towards replacement parts for the suspension so I could basically do an overhaul at each corner of the truck while it is up on the jack.

Thanks.

Check the price of Raybestos "Advanced Technology" rotors on RockAuto.com. They may be worth the extra cost.

I find that premium replacement parts (e.g. Raybestos AT pads and rotors) last longer, perform better, throw way less dust and are squeak free - worth every penny IMO.

I'd have to second that. I have never seen really cheap brake parts come even close to their price in value. You will end up just replacing them really fast again. Even light driving/braking I have found - corrosion kills them before wear and I'm in the junior Indycar driver club! Especially in a heavy vehicle like a truck.

Done it twice - back to good rotors/pads - actually cheaper over time.

I like cheap new brake rotors.
It sure beats cutting them!
Take advantage of the cheap prices.
Sure, there may occasionally be a problem. But that for sure can happen with premium rotors, also.

Any pair of [censored] rotors I have bought have worked almost immediately. Don't was your money. Just remember, if you do it right the 1st time, you won't have to do it again! (or as my friend says, "when you're cheap you pay double."

Originally Posted By: cos
Check the price of Raybestos "Advanced Technology" rotors on RockAuto.com. They may be worth the extra cost.

I find that premium replacement parts (e.g. Raybestos AT pads and rotors) last longer, perform better, throw way less dust and are squeak free - worth every penny IMO.

+1

The Raybestos AT pads and rotors have worked great for me. They are lasting 2/3 longer than the OE Toyota pads.

I've seen cheap rotors warp after getting good and hot and then being driven through a deep puddle. Unless you absolutely need rotors, and plan on getting rid of the car shortly after the brake job cheap rotors doesn't pay. As in everything in life you get what you pay for. JMO......

chinese use slave labor to flood the market and kill competition.

please refrain from the political commentary

Last edited by a moderator:
If your gona keep the car get some good ones.

I have some Brembo Blanks on a 2000 Z-28 that were $20 per rotor more than AAP-AZ-Napa preimium rotor and they have not even thought of warping. So for $100 more (per 4 rotors) you get something that will perform and last longer saving you money in the long run. These are a non-coated rotor so they do rust like any other.

If your not gona keep the car get the cheap ones.

I have had good success with Aimco and/or other Chinese rotors on lighter autos. The entire brake system needs to be in good condition, otherwise its hard to determine if a failed rotor is the fault of the rotor or maybe a binding caliper, etc..

Having said that, I think it is cost effective to put the better (not outrageous) stuff on a vehicle you plan to keep.

By the way, I put the Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors on my Caravan last fall. I got them on sale for less than $50 each. They look very well made.

BUT, ON THE BOX IS PRINTED "MADE IN CHINA"......Raybestos moved much of their manufacturing overseas last year. Sad.

Guys, trust me on this. Premium rotors fail just the same as cheap ones. And their machining can be just as horrible, or just as good.
It is almost always better to get cheap ones. Even if there is a failure, you are still way ahead if you simply replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back