How to reset XP password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longer directions to rescue Windows from itself:

Remove the hard disk from the computer, then attach to another computer that works.

Go to My Computer, open up any folder, then choose to view all files including system & hidden files.

Make a backup of the Hard-Disk-In-Question’s registry files to a temp folder somewhere on the computer that you have plugged the errant Windows hard drive into by copying these files (they have no extensions) to that temp folder:
Windows\System32\config\system
Windows\System32\config\software
Windows\System32\config\sam
Windows\System32\config\security
Windows\System32\config\default

Once you have a copy of these files (a just-in-case step), delete the above 5 files from the errant Windows hard drive.

Go to the root of the errant hard drive, look in the System Volume Information folder. You don’t have access. Right click on it, then grant yourself admin access to this folder. Now drill down to a folder in this system restore area to a few days before the problem happened. Keep drilling down til you see the above 5 files backed up of a given date. (View by details is the easiest way to determine the date of the files). The 5 files have different name stamps appended to them.

Now copy (do NOT move) the 5 files mentioned above from this folder in System Restore to the Windows\System32\config\ of the errant hard disk. All 5 files must be copied in tandem and renamed w/o extensions. Once the 5 files have been copied & renamed, safely remove the hard disk from the 2nd computer then reinstall the hard disk back in the computer that it came from.
If the registry was hosed before, it should work now. If not, repeat this process with the set of 5 registry files in the System Volume Informtation folder tree dated earlier than a few days prior to the known computer crash.

Boot 'er up in knoppix (live linux CD) and copy needed document files to a USB stick before further nuking this thing.

I've used one of those crack boot CDroms successfully too.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Longer directions to rescue Windows from itself:

Remove the hard disk from the computer, then attach to another computer that works.

Go to My Computer, open up any folder, then choose to view all files including system & hidden files.

Make a backup of the Hard-Disk-In-Question’s registry files to a temp folder somewhere on the computer that you have plugged the errant Windows hard drive into by copying these files (they have no extensions) to that temp folder:
Windows\System32\config\system
Windows\System32\config\software
Windows\System32\config\sam
Windows\System32\config\security
Windows\System32\config\default

Once you have a copy of these files (a just-in-case step), delete the above 5 files from the errant Windows hard drive.

Go to the root of the errant hard drive, look in the System Volume Information folder. You don’t have access. Right click on it, then grant yourself admin access to this folder. Now drill down to a folder in this system restore area to a few days before the problem happened. Keep drilling down til you see the above 5 files backed up of a given date. (View by details is the easiest way to determine the date of the files). The 5 files have different name stamps appended to them.

Now copy (do NOT move) the 5 files mentioned above from this folder in System Restore to the Windows\System32\config\ of the errant hard disk. All 5 files must be copied in tandem and renamed w/o extensions. Once the 5 files have been copied & renamed, safely remove the hard disk from the 2nd computer then reinstall the hard disk back in the computer that it came from.
If the registry was hosed before, it should work now. If not, repeat this process with the set of 5 registry files in the System Volume Informtation folder tree dated earlier than a few days prior to the known computer crash.

A repair install is much easier........

Yeah, but where's the technical challenge in that?
wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Yeah, but where's the technical challenge in that?
wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Depends on who's doing the work
wink.gif
LMAO!!!

10.gif

Found the problem. The drive has crashed. Powered up the pc today and it wouldn't even try to boot, and the drive was making horrible grinding noises. I suspect it is fatal..

Oh well. Time to go shopping.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've saved all this info. Might need it some day.

Wayne

I'm going to order a new drive for SIL's Compaq presario laptop. Old drive is a Toshiba 30gb drive. I'm going with a 80-100gb drive. What is your recommended make/model?

Thanks for any info,

Wayne

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Seagate or Western Digital. I've had great luck with both.

I second this. I've had fantastic luck with Seagates. The WDs I've used were a bit noisier but less expensive.

I have nothing but great luck with Seagate / Western Digital. All the Maxtors I have had were junk within a year or two even after RMA's. I have had 1 bad Seagate but that was like out of maybe 100? (used to sell 'em)

Wish me luck. I had no idea HD's were so cheap these days.

Had another issue trying to order the drive from TigerDirect. Their website rejected my CC, but didn't tell me so. Called cust. support, they were basicly no help. Tried the order a second time, still failed, that's when I discovered the CC prob. Nearly panicked, called CC co. and verified my card was ok and not compromised.

So ordered same drive from Newegg. No problems.

Not only that but TD charges sales tax. NE doesn't.

Installed the new HD today and when XP partitioned it, XP left an 8meg partition that I can't format or make active. Why?? Is this some kind of an XP thing?

Got the system installed last night. Works great. Drive is really fast and quiet. Discovered it is the exact same drive as I have in my ACER laptop. Sure speeds up the system. That old drive was really slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back