Rounded off bolt heads and sockets: recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I ran into a drain bolt yesterday that was way too tight despite a 2.5 foot cheater bar on top of my 3/8in drive ratchet. I simply wound up rounding off more an already rounded off bolt head.

Unsuccessful, that means I need better tools. I was thinking of a dedicated 18" creaker bar with something like a craftsman bolt-out socket set.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P

Do things like this work? Anyone have reommendations?

I've used them . . . they are life-savers. Just apply slow and steady pressure--maybe slightly increasing.

Under the right circumstances, these types of tools do work. However, many times they don't. I've got one complete drawer full of different kinds of screw and bolt removal kits that sometimes work and sometimes don't.

If you have the right access to the bolt, a good pair of new ( I say new because the jaws are sharp ) curved jaw vise grips can really get a good bite on the bolt head and then allow the use of a pipe or something else for leverage.

Sometimes you can use a metric socket on a standard bolt (or vice-versa) and get a snugger fit. Also 6-point sockets are much better than 12-point sockets for tight fasteners. It's always better to avoid rounding off the head in the first place!

If the bolt was that tight I'm not sure those sockets will help but they are worth a try. worst case scenario you can carefully drill the bolt out.

a pipe wrench might be worth trying.

well, Im pretty sure I had enough torque with the huge cheater bar. Its just the socket and bolt head were not happy with each other.

How do these "improved bolt-out" sockets work? vs. a normal socket.

They destroy the bolt/nut, but by the time you need these most hope is lost anyway. What they do is bite into the head since all the torque is focused on a sharp point instead of a flat side. As long as there is still a flat side on the bolt/nut, those teeth will gouge into the head and eventually stop. This is typically when the bolt starts turning.

What we did was find the smallest that would go on, tap it lightly with a hammer, then use a wrench/ratchet. I've used impact ones on lug nuts that were horribly rounded off as well. I had success every time with that method.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Those are awesome. I used them to take off wheel locks!

I can picture you looking around for the car owner, then going at the wheel locks to score your booty.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
They destroy the bolt/nut, but by the time you need these most hope is lost anyway. What they do is bite into the head since all the torque is focused on a sharp point instead of a flat side. As long as there is still a flat side on the bolt/nut, those teeth will gouge into the head and eventually stop. This is typically when the bolt starts turning.

What we did was find the smallest that would go on, tap it lightly with a hammer, then use a wrench/ratchet. I've used impact ones on lug nuts that were horribly rounded off as well. I had success every time with that method.

That sounds good, as drain bolts are fairly cheap to replace. Anyone have a particular brand or model they like most?

There's a tool I'll be adding to my set, looks like even if you use them once its with the $30.00.

>What we did was find the smallest that would go on, tap it lightly with a hammer, then use a wrench/ratchet.

I used the same method... Also, have you considered using a handheld MAPP gas torch to heat up the pan around the bolt? Thermal expansion of the pan should allow the bolt to be loosened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Those are awesome. I used them to take off wheel locks!

I can picture you looking around for the car owner, then going at the wheel locks to score your booty.
LOL.gif

That's funny. But actually, a female friend of mine came to me for a brake job and she did not have her wheel lock key I(said Walmart wa the last to use it and musty not have returned it) and ALL the lug nuts on each tire were locks! These sockets took the nuts off with ease. Saved the day!

I've used a hand grinder to square up a drain plug so vise grips could hang on better.

On broken off bolts, I've welded a screwdriver on to the end of one. And brazed a small bolt onto a large broken off bolt.

I bought a set of the sokets to remove rounded bolts, but haven't had a need for them yet. In the past I removed my SIL's drain plug with a pipe wrench. As long as it isn't in a recess they will usually work pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back