08 WRX STI OCI: Amsoil Rep Says 3750, Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Currently have 3700 miles, with the first oil change from factory fill done ~100 miles ago. I sent out for a UOA, and will post up the results.

To the question: I want to change over to a full synth (i.e., Redline, Amsoil, etc) after ~10k on the motor, and have been researching to figure out what the best, most economical choice might be. I'm looking for extra protection with extended drain intervals, but after speaking with an Amsoil rep I'm not so sure. He said that due to the turbo oil supply line having a screen filter, they do NOT recommend extending OCI past the factory established 3750 miles

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll be running Wolf's Head Super Duty 5W-30 in the mean time.

They probably said 3750 mile oil changes because the turbo can get deposits inside.

If you had a car with no turbo then extended drains would be possible.

It is probably cheaper to do oil changes at the factory recommendation and not extend those drain intervals than it is to replace a turbo or try to get it fixed if deposits get coked in there.

How hard is changing out the oil line screen? Make it part of a maintenance schedule and do your extended drains. I'm sure it doesn't clog in 10k miles. It has to be longer terms (or so I imagine)

I've read about turbo guys on here running extended drain intervals with no deposits or excessive bearing wear. The issue, from what the rep said, had more to do with the screen becoming fouled (clogged), restricting flow. I DO want to maintain my warranty for at least the intial 30-40k before I start modifying, so would sticking with factory OCI using a decent dino or cheap(er than Amsoil) synth be my best option? I've read about other STI owners using extended drain intervals with out problems, but is this a good-for-30k practice before the strainer clogs or is the clogging issue being exagerated?

BTW, with extended OCI I would be sending out samples for UOA each change, but if I stay with the factory recommended I'd probably send one out every third change just to keep tabs on wear.

It seems Subaru turbos are really the only ones with such short drains. The DISI Mazda turbo has drains out to 6months/7500 miles. I don't know what the Honda/BMW/VW turbo OCI is, but I assume they are pretty lengthy as well.

I have owned a few turbos in my life and would suggest that you purchase a good synthetic from a store of your choice, Walmart usually the cheapest, that has some good flashpoint, evap numbers etc since turbos run pretty hot at times because of the recirculated exhaust air. The best thing you can do for that car is invest money into a really good intercooler. And use quality airfilters! Stick with factory OCI's with a cheaper than Amsoil quality synthetic. Look into putting Amsoil into your tranny and drivetrain if you like, that will make that car last troublefree longer as well!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I've talked to guys running Motul or Amsoil, including their expensive oil filter, but still changing their oil every 3k miles! $50+ for an oil change every 3k miles!? No, sir! : )

Question: 05Blazer, what does the intercooler have to do with the oil or turbo? I do plan to stick with the stock paper filters for better filtration.

Last edited:
Nice vehicle. Subaru lowered their OCI on turbos for a reason. I would stick with what the factory recommends and leave it at that....at least through the warranty period.

Thanks again for the advice. I think sticking with the factory OCI is a good idea, especially if the filter screen IS a problem. After the warranty, seizing the turbo will just give me an excuse to upgrade ; ).

Any issues with Wolf's Head? I've looked around, but found nothing for turbo engines.

Oh, and more than half of the miles will be highway miles. I will be flashing over to stage 1 using Cobb AP soon. I plan to drive spirited, but not often to red line. I want to have fun, but don't plan to beat the pee out of it until I know I won't spin a bearing or have the infamous piston problems.

Last edited:
https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/techservic...Version%205.pdf

Quote:
This mechanical problem is not being linked to
lubricant performance and the only solution at this
time is to inspect this screen more often, or according
to a published service bulletin from
Forced Performance aftermarket turbo company,
remove the screen(2). But through telephone discussions
with Subaru, they advise against individual
owners removing the screen.

Quote:
AMSOIL synthetic engine oils are your best defense
against the potential problems outlined in this
document. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils prevent
deposit formation because they contain high levels
of detergents and dispersants that help keep small
particles from agglomerating. These features will
help minimize screen clogging; however, they will
not prevent clogging if the particles are too large.
Until Subaru issues other corrections or makes engineering
revisions in new vehicles, AMSOIL must
recommend the following Subaru drain interval:

If it calls for a 5W-30 or 10W-30, Valvoline Synpower would be economical at about $19 for a 5qt. jug. for a 4k mile oci. I would not go more expensive than a Wix or PureOne for that interval.

Oil filter, that is. Wow, after looking up the recommended filter, it sure is a small one.

Ok, my revised recommendation FWIW would be:

Winter- 5W30 Valvoline Synpower with SuperTech 7317 or 6607 oil filter for 3-5k mile oci, depending on how it is driven. Short trips or autocross use would call for shorter intervals. Normal, longer trips would allow you to go longer intervals.

Summer- same except maybe use 10W30 Synpower instead as the 5W is really only needed in the winter for better cold flow.

And a 3 oz maintenance dose of Auto-RX every oil change to really keep that oil screen clean, which Subaru actually recommends cleaning every oil change. The side benefit to this would be possibly lowered wear as well. This is one additive that works in my experience, with no negative side effects to worry about. It would add about 5 dollars additional cost to your oil changes, though. Worth every penny IMO.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
If it calls for a 5W-30 or 10W-30, Valvoline Synpower would be economical at about $19 for a 5qt. jug. for a 4k mile oci. I would not go more expensive than a Wix or PureOne for that interval.

Synpower is now $23-$25.00.00 a jug. M1 5-30 has the Honda HTO Turbo spec.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info, buster. I'll have to check with my dealer to see what they think about having to clean the screen every oil change. I think I'll check out some UOA on here about the oils you mentioned to see what my best options is.

BMWtechguy, I'm not sure I want to mess with any additive packages for such a short drain interval. I've got an older subie as a beater, so the STI will be up to temp for nearly all of it's miles, which will help with any additive depletion due to fuel dilution and excessive cold start wear I would think.

I've been checking on the subie forums, and every one seems to be up in arms about the recent decision by Subaru of America (SOA) to change the OEM oil filter from one every one praised to one that looks cheap and inferior (cheap parts and less total filter media area.) Most also say the PureOne is as close to the old OEM as they come, and pretty cheap, too.

Thanks for all the advice. I'd love to hear from some turbo guys about what works best for them!

I don't think the screen filter is present on 06+ STI and WRX models. I know there was a TSB listing which models still have the oil screen but I think 2006 was the last model year which it was used due to the amount of turbo failures. I will try to located this TSB.

Originally Posted By: HondaRD
I don't think the screen filter is present on 06+ STI and WRX models. I know there was a TSB listing which models still have the oil screen but I think 2006 was the last model year which it was used due to the amount of turbo failures. I will try to located this TSB.

I did a turbo swap on an 06 STi last week, and both banjo screen were there. Just remove both of them.

I use Amsoil 0/20, EaO20, with a one year change interval in my 257 swapped bugeye.. ( no screens )

From FP, http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

Subaru TSB from 10/07, http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/02-103-07.pdf

FWIW, the NEW Subaru filter is clearly stamped HONEYWELL on the side, and upon dissection there are cardboard endcaps.. Nuff said.
FILTER_COMPARE_S_02.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back