Need with PCLinuxOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far as a Linux nubie I am impressed with this distro. I put it on my laptop and my wireless card actualy works. The problem I'm having is the screen resolution was wrong so I reset it. On resetting it I was told to restart the OS to put the change into affect. On restart, I'm prompted to login at a command prompt. I logged in as root, and the thing just sits there. I guess I need to type in a command. What do I type in? Please help with the proper syntax, I have know idea what I'm doing.
Thanks,Ted

startx started to work but boot stalled because it seems I made an error configuring the screens. The video chip supports the laptop screen plus a monitor. I provided a resolution for an external monitor but don't have one plugged in. I think I,m getting an error to the affect that the os can't find this monitor.
When I have time I'll try plugging in a monitor.
Thanks for the reply Curtis, Ted

You may need to reconfigure the X server (the software which runs the graphical system).

Try this at the command prompt and follow along with the questions you'll be asked:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

NOTE: I do not know if you created a "root" user during your installation, as I am unfamiliar w/ PCLOS. If you did, you'll need to enter the root password after entering that command; and if not, you'll need to enter your normal password for the regular user you created.

That should bring you back to where you started from. After that, you'll need to make certain that you're using the proper driver for your video card. You *may* need to edit the xorg.conf configuration file manually with an alternate driver or alternate settings to those automagically generated for you.

uc50ic4more, I typed in what you suggested and it came back with dpkg-reconfigure: command not found.
Ted

Ted -

Sorry 'bout that; I just assumed that dpkg would be installed as part of a PCLOS system (EDIT: I see now that PCLinuxOS is RPM based... I thought it was a Debian derivative)... I Google'd "pclinuxos reconfigure xserver" and came across this page: http://linux-blog.org/pclinuxos-93-xorgconf-problem-quick-fix/ where reference is made to a "pcc" application, invoked before starting the X server that enabled the user the reconfigure his hardware.

If all else fails, you could also just boot from the live CD and replace the xorg.conf file with a backup, the temporary one created by the live CD, or even a good one (that supports your video card!) that might be found on the PCLOS forums. I know on the Ubuntu forums many users share .conf files and settings.

Last edited:
Just paste the copy of your xorg.conf file here. I'll tell you what's wrong with it
wink.gif

uc50ic4more, I tried to change dir. to x11, but the os couldn't find it. I finely gave up and reformated and reinstalled PCLOS. Thanks to uc50ic4more, overk1ll, Curtis, and Greenaccord02.
Ted

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TedT
uc50ic4more, I tried to change dir. to x11, but the os couldn't find it. I finely gave up and reformated and reinstalled PCLOS. Thanks to uc50ic4more, overk1ll, Curtis, and Greenaccord02.
Ted

Great - but what about your screen resolution? Was that automagically fixed?

On reinstalling, the resolution was automaticly set correctly. And as to Windoz XP, I'm tired of the constant updates and the required reboots. And along with it comes slower and slower boots. Generally
the computer seems slower and slower. I've tried many Linux distros over the years. PCLOS is the first one I thought I could actually learn to use. The only thing is it didn't detect my internal dial up modem. I use it to fax docs. Not all that important though, I can E-MAIL instead. I have to say I like XP except for the reasons above. I found it to be very stable, and worth the price. I have little desire to switch to Vista.
Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back