Royal Purple for Horsepower and MPG gains

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys mean? Those are car shows doing the tests.

Pablo: You don't think Amsoil would accomplish the same thing?

Last edited:
purple_unicornhp.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZZman

TV car shows = paid by the sponsor to say (insert a guess word) things about their sponsors.

No Amsoil would not, until they became a sponsor.

Wow...where is the trust?

If this was some backyard dude claiming it I would be skeptical. But to claim that car magazines are being deceptive or flat out lying because of being paid.......hmm.

I think you should contact them and ask them to run a test with all Amsoil.

**I sent both Hot Rod magazine and Horsepower TV an e-mail asking them about these videos and whether or not RP is a sponsor and whether they are unbiased or not.

Last edited:
I have used Royal Purple in the past,always had good results with it.I still like their gear lube very much.Some people on here claim that RP engine oil looses it`s viscosity quickly.I don`t know what to say about that.

What they are saying might be true if the synthetic oils have a lower viscosity than the dino oils they replaced. Wasn't the reason for the move to 5W-20 (from 5W-30 or 10W-30) primarily attributed to a desire to raise gas mileage. If it raises mileage, I'm pretty sure it would raise horsepower as well.

Also, if what I have heard is true, when Mobil 1 was first introduced it came in a 5W-20 grade and boasted of fuel efficiency benefits. That was back when most cars ran on 10W-30 or even 10W-40.

I'm not sure if the hp/fuel economy gains would have been noticeable if the synthetic oils were of the same viscosity though.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
What they are saying might be true if the synthetic oils have a lower viscosity than the dino oils they replaced. Wasn't the reason for the move to 5W-20 (from 5W-30 or 10W-30) primarily attributed to a desire to raise gas mileage. If it raises mileage, I'm pretty sure it would raise horsepower as well.

Bingo! Some of the tests they dropped from a 15 cSt oil to a 9-10cSt oil. That sometimes is not even mentioned.

Someone please explain HOW the engine gains horsepower buring the same fuel under the same parameters? Super-secret Purple Slick 50?

Mustang mags do the same thing. Anybody who can expect to slap in a K&N and gain 15HP.....yeah.

Sponsors pay the bills. If AFR pays them to do a head test, who's heads do you think are going to perform the best?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Someone please explain HOW the engine gains horsepower buring the same fuel under the same parameters? Super-secret Purple Slick 50?

My guess would be less friction. In my motor, my average mpg went from 27.7 using Castrol 5w-40 to 28.1 with RP 15w-40. That's 1.4% better using a more viscous oil, so I think the friction had to be lower. I got 29.1 using the 5w-30. My motor has never ran smoother, equal to or better than GC and hopfully without the bearing wear I was getting with GC. Consumption went to zero, so not having to buy an extra quart for topping up made using RP the same cost as using Mobil or Castrol. I like it and will continue to use it and hope to do a UOA with it sometime this year.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Mustang mags do the same thing. Anybody who can expect to slap in a K&N and gain 15HP.....yeah.

You might be able to on a souped up Mustang that has a big cam, big throttle body etc but has restricted intake flow at high rpm. On a plain jane car....no.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

You might be able to on a souped up Mustang that has a big cam, big throttle body etc but has restricted intake flow at high rpm. On a plain jane car....no.

We are talking stock junk. And the stock airbox is HUGE. I've seen more [censored] in Mustang mags (and performance mags in general) over the years to make me realize that there is very little that can be truly "learned" from these things.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back