09'WRX - Factory 5w30. 932mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a UOA from my new Subaru WRX. Honestly, I felt a little silly taking a sample so soon but I felt compelled to after reading about so many cases of spun bearings on "the internets" that were affecting 09'WRX models. I asked Blackstone to check for any early indication of abnormal bearing wear. Seems like everything is OK so far.
I am now using PP 5W30. I plan to resample again around 5K. I figured PP would be a good oil to try as an alternative to M1 and I felt a little better seeing PP is also HTO-06 certified. Not sure if that makes a difference but we'll see in a few months!

NASIOC
scary video

Oh I forgot to mention that most of my driving was city with average ambient temps just above freezing. During break-in period I did not go over 4K rpm as recommeneded by Subaru.

I realize the image above may be difficult to read. If so try this one. Sorry about that.

here

Last edited:
First - Would love to hear your opinions on the power delivery of the 09 WRX. Haven't driven one yet.

Second - It'll be interesting to see if you observe oil consumption given the car a gentle break-in.

FYI - There were problems with the main bearings on my run of the Legacy GT. (back in March/April of 08). I understand the concern.

Power delivery is actually quite impressive. A lot of torque at low RPMs and pulls hard and smooth up to redline. Doesn't feel "peaky" given the new turbo that is now shared with the STI (albeit w/less boost). The magazines seems to confirm this given the acceleration times I am seeing.

I read an SAE paper about break-in related wear on pistons and cylinder bores a while back. I too had this concern about gentle break-in. I decided to observe Subaru recommendations but did do plenty of WOT pulls up to 4k RPM allowing peak boost to build at 3k and holding it thanks to wide gearing. If I have to add oil between changes it will be noted on future UOA's.

Ah, if you were doing WOT runs up to 4k I'm sure you are fine.

FYI - My 08 LGT consumes not a drop of oil in the 3750 mile OCIs running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 started at 2000 miles. Now at 16000 miles.

Joe

Originally Posted By: HondaRD

I am now using PP 5W30. I plan to resample again around 5K. I figured PP would be a good oil to try as an alternative to M1 and I felt a little better seeing PP is also HTO-06 certified.

IMO, your vis will probaly continue to take a hit until you're more broken in and possibly longer than that. I haven't seen many subie turbo PP uoa's here, but AndyH did have an uptick in wear metals with it (only one run though).

So I guess you're not sticking with Subaru's 3,750 mile OCI?

19.gif

-Dennis

Good point about visc during break in. I'm hoping I can eventually feel safe about 5k OCI with PP. If PP doesn't seem to cut it I may try Rotella 5w-40 as another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back