$5.00 for a loaf of bread

Status
Not open for further replies.
just saw it today at my local safeway/woolworths supermarket

LAWSON'S brand, traditional grain loaf, 800 grams

BUT I HAD TO BUY IT TO TRY IT

quite nice with bratwurst, sauted onions and heinz organic ketchup

and it was on promo for $3.99

Sorry I'm Italian and to me that's not bread... You can get a nice loaf in an Italian Bakery for a couple bucks and it's really good. IMO... I might be biased though...
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I thought this was going to be about the glooming global economy.
Could very well be in a round about way.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yep, that's good bread.

I don't know that one.

Decent bread here starts at over $4 for a small loaf farmer's bread. The best local bread brand, available at good markets, is Acme Bread. Even sprintman would like that!
wink.gif

I bake bread on average twice a week. That's not bad either.

AU$5 is US$3.50. That's the regular price for a loaf of bread around here. Good breads go higher.

The brand mentioned is part of a trend that's becoming more common.

Place used to e full of white bread. Then some wholemeal and multigrain came in, then the 9 or 10 grains, pumpkin seeds etc.

There's now 3 brands of bread that are offering something beyond normal square stuff, and this is one of them. They offer a couple of varieties, a not bad white, a wholemeal, and a quite tasty grain.

But if I want really good bread, an organic 5 grain sourdough is $6.50 for 100 grammes.

StevieC, won't see much of that around here.
Mori, wish I baked, don't have the space, and making bread with children would be a nightmare...might give it a burl 'though.

I have a great German bakery in my neighborhood. My favorite bread is the Pumpernickle-Rye marble. It's around 2.25 a loaf, but I always forget to put it in a ziplock bag after I've made a sandwich with it and it gets stale the next day... At that rate, it's probably costing me about 12 bucks a loaf.

600 grammes, sorry

I almost instantly began baking bread for export to OZ!
LOL.gif

that's some prison you've got there, isn't it ?

Originally Posted By: moribundman
600 grammes, sorry

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: bonnie john
quite nice with bratwurst, sauted onions and heinz organic ketchup

Good lord - I'd hardly recognize that as a bread.

I also make about 3 loaves/week. I grind red hard organic wheat, molasses, olive oil, brown sugar etc. Not exciting, but these are production loaves.
grin2.gif
I tried to make a Russian rye loaf once, using 100% rye kernels. I tried to eat that [censored] thing with tea, buttered, toasted etc ... had to toss it. And after a few days it would have gone through a plate glass window.

Originally Posted By: bonnie john
that's some prison you've got there, isn't it ?

It's Alcatraz, not Acme!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
600 grammes, sorry

LOL.gif

that wouldn't happen around here,try a good sheboygan hardroll next time. We can only hope the brat was grilled..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back